Thread: In Wall System

Fresh Paint

Default In Wall System

I am putting together a system built inside my wall so I don't have a huge desk in my room. I am mounting a 22" widescreen on my wall, wireless keyboad/mouse, using my bose surround sound stereo and having DVDWR come out of the wall. I am wondering about a panel that I would like to put on the opposite wall. I want a usb panel on the other side of the room and I was wondering if that was possible. I know that usb limit is 16', but what about the cabes that attach directly to the motherboard, can they be lengthed and still function? What I am planning to do right now is have a multifunction panel set in the wall so I can have usb and headphone jack. If anyone sees a reason why this won't work please let me know.

Default Re: In Wall System

i tried this

i found out the hard way that walls dont have ventilation
    DELETED

Hmm, a friend of mine hid his system in the close, with the monitor on the other side of the wall. Worked well. But possibly an extreme cooling system ... ie. In the air conditioning vent? LOL. Dunno if that would work or not, but something to investigate maybe.
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::

Fresh Paint

The other side of my wall is a closet, basically I am going to build a shelf in there and set my computer on that with the side of the case off and facing the wall for easy access to the cables for cd drive. I will reroute cpu fan to the back with ducting and add a fan to the top as well. The closet is really big but we don't use it. If I need to I could add some vents to basement. I am not worried about ventilation as much as running panel to the other side of the room. I will just run the connector cables through the basement below, but I don't know if they will still work after running about 20 feet away from the computer. That is my real question.

I think that with the proper usb hub, you can extend the cables another 25 feet. I will check one of the sgi systems here for the model they use for this.