Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future in Modding

Water Cooled

I think buying a premodded case is for ppl who are lazy to make their own or dont know the knowledge, but still want it to look good and show it off. There are ppl around who dont even know what each part does inside the computer, how they connect to eachother and all that, but they already have like 3 cold cathodes in the box to show it off. They will never mod anything because they dont know how and dont have the resources to do it, therefore they will always look for premodded stuff. Personally I dont like the look of alienwares and voodoos because I know that I can personalize my case the way I want and I dont have too look at someone else's style when I can look at mine. However when I shop for a case, I look at its potential to be modded and its layout.

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    Honestly I hope the future lies simply in people picking up some tools and working with their hands to create something cool with their computer--Working with your hands and creating even simple mods gives such a great feeling of accomplishment that any beginner can be proud of.
    I agree. At the same time I feel that most modding is an art. For a perfect example, take Paul's (Crimsonsky) work. Yes, he's a modder....but really Paul is an artist. As with all artists, it can be difficult (which I am sure he will agree) to get your work out there. Many will appreciate modding as an art and others will not. I believe that the future of modding is up to the artists AND the people that appreciate art.

As for making money, it depends what you want out of it. Most artists NEVER get the money they deserve for the amount of hours required to build and create a piece.

I think think the modding community has had tons of effects on PCs today. Common PC users see colorful computers in local BestBuys. I dont think we can rag on people that want a premod. No everyone is an artist, not everyone could afford to buy a PC like Paul designs, but everyone deserves to have a riteous looking box in their home.

The One and Only

The future of modding, hmm, that is a good question really. For me it's about moving from modding to design and then to potential massproduction. For example right now I'm in the process of starting up production of a completely new kind of bay device. This is by the way the reason why I have not done any new mods since November. As for modding in general I think it will take two directions, one is to make artistic/theme cases like Crimson Sky and the other is to make ultra clean installations. With ultra clean installations I mean those who get <random aluminium case> adding watercooling, fans and lights and then do a killer job hiding the wires and tubes. I might go towards the latter in my future mods since maintaining/repairing custom cases is a royal pain, not to mention costly when you have to buy an XPC just to replace a motherboard for example.

Who knows, in a far distant future a computer purchase might be like buying a car. You sit down with a sales rep and select the colour and options from a glossy brochure.

ATX Mental Case

That second bit about the sales rep aint too far off mashie

As someone who's doing the modding to design to mass production steps as well its not easy is it Its taken over a year so far with a couple of months of work still to do

I remember chatting about the bay thing at that film shoot in birmingham hope its going well
    gordyhand.co.uk

The One and Only

I would say it will take just under a year from starting to work on the idea to the delivery of the first batch which I expect to receive before the end of April. Then the really interesting part of the project will start...

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by mashie
    Who knows, in a far distant future a computer purchase might be like buying a car. You sit down with a sales rep and select the colour and options from a glossy brochure.
    Oh so true.

I think in the future, it might be easier for families to simply buy a small cluster type setup and put it in it's own room designed for it. People would connect with terminals and have their own sort of "system" running off it.

Far distant future ...

3D printers ... that is all I will say

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by JesDer
    Far distant future ...

3D printers ... that is all I will say
    Been there, done that

Quote Originally Posted by mashie
    Been there, done that

Pretty much in its infancy...3D printers of today are crude compared to what we might have 25 years from now

Who knows...we may order a pair of shoes offline and our printer may print them out for us...
    How did you come to trade the fiddle for the drum?