Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future in Modding

Fresh Paint

Default Future in Modding

Hi,

I have been working in the IT industry for more than 10+ years, and have stumbled over the world of PC modding, and would like a general consensus on the future of PC Modding, and possible business careers for aspiring builders.

Tell me what you're thoughts

Thanks.

ATX Mental Case

I feel that the modding community will continue to grow with time. As for making money at it all, i think that would be much tougher. Since the whole point of modding is to create your own work i think that there will never be much of a pre-fab modded box market. Although I do see a lot of potential in mod sales and the sales of parts. There are already pleanty of modding sales sites out there, but one more could never hurt.
    "It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying, sometimes it means killing a whole lot of people."

Fresh Paint

I agree, modding is through individual preference, but not everyone has the time to mod, or even build their own PC's. Ergo, the rise of DELL, IBM, etc etc But yes, alot of sites are popping up now selling modding supplies which is great. This is how I came to realize the growing popularity of Mods.

Thanks for the response, Chapel

Triton

Anodized

Well, just look at any auto modding. That has grown hugely within years and now people are starting to pay to have their Ricers modded for them! I think the same might happen with computers.
    As far as where and when...Nobody knows. All I know is that a Cyber Cafe with a "mod bar" in it would be cool (so instead of drinks ordered to your liking you throw down a little cash and you get a comp made to your taste). Just an idea.....
    Im 427 and I approved this post

Anodized

I see computers becoming much more personalized in the future.

I have to disagree on the point that modding will become mainstream. Most people know only of Dell and AOL. However, if Dell started computers geared towards specific demographics, then maybe some families would be interested.

For example, a Pink/White mITX box for their teenage girl with her name on it would fit perfectly for her, and would make an awesome christmas present.

It just takes the OEMs to do it.

ATX Mental Case

It seems like people tend to go exreams. Most people really dont care, just soething that looks easy on the eyes (eg. dell, ibm, apple; and there trendy designs). And then it seems you have people that want a badass case with a badass system (eg. Voodoo, Alienware, Falcon NW). Though i wonder if someone could make money just selling aftermarket cases that were modded for people to put their own parts in. Ebay? i guess.... couldnt hurt
    "It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying, sometimes it means killing a whole lot of people."

ATX Mental Case

Well I think that Chapel made two very important points. The look of a nice looking computer really falls into two sections. Those that are easy to look at and cases which can only be described as cool. I would love to own a G5 as they look very nice, with clean lines and above all take up next to no space on the desk, (How do they fit a entire computer in there?) which all adds up to a wonderful computer for all. I would get one if not for the price. However on the other side of the market there is an Alienware. Just say the word Alienware and you automatically think quality, power, beauty (after a fashion) and price. In fact one of my friends has an Alienware and he likes to show it off to me whenever he can. And to tell you the truth I am really quite jealous of his case (but at least I can figure out how to open my computer up, he has never figured out how to get into his Alien). Both of these designs are very popular but for very different reasons. In fact they are almost opposites. The G5 is unobtrusive, clean and you could almost miss it if you weren't careful while the Alien ware is big, loud and completely unmissable. I would love to have both if I could but I never will.
    There is no other choice.

Future of modding ...

In order to predict where it is going, you really need to take a step back and look at it's history so far. A few years back, modding was something that really not many people dared to do. Most mods where more function than form. I remember installing a large fan to the back of a PC to help suck the hot air out of it. At the time the internet was not even invented yet. Some people at that time also did some artistic mods like painting, but nothing too extreme. Sometime about 6-8 years ago, the hardware community sites started taking shape and with it, people started showing off their simple mods. It didn't take long for communities to grow around modding and well human nature took over. People started to try to outdo each other and the mods got more complex and more artistic. The size of the new communities start to hit the point where there was a target market for modding supplies. This is when some of the older modder supply sites started. At the time I honestly didn't think the market was ready, but it was and soon many people started targeting modders. It didn't take long for manufacturers to start mass producing products designed around this new communities ideas (this is when color PCBs also started showing up). Once that happened, some of the larger retailers took notice. This is basically where we are today. Right now the smaller supply stores are losing a large amount of ground to the NewEggs out there. What does seem to be picking up is custom cases as more of artwork than PCs. Right now the market for them is low due to the high cost. The main cost issue is the amount of time it takes someone like CrimsonSky to produce his works of art. The functional mods are covered very well by the high volume manufacturers and so the only way to make anything from modding is to either find someone willing to pay you for modding a single case, or to invent the next big thing and patent it. The other option is to mod and hope you win contests

There is also the whole area of writing for a publication or running a website. Both are not easy to make money at.

Umm .. I really could go on about where I think Modding will go, but I could end up writing a very long post about it and I don't feel like it at this time.

Anodized

^^
    Agreed.

Eventually, I believe there may be a schism between the JoeSixpack computer using community and the DexterModder computer enthusiast.

JoeSixpack couldn't care less what color his PCB is, while Dexter uses it as a point in buying his components.

I really do believe that if Linux becomes compatible and easy enough for everyone, we may see a big big divide in users. Imagine if half the world was using windows, and the other enthusiast half Linux. I believe it will happen, and with it, the divide between computer users.

I think the OEMs will stick to their guns, still selling bland PCs to those who want Windows and AOL pretty much, and a more decentralized group will sell more unique PCs to the rest custom tailored how they like.

In the future, buying a PC will be like buying a suit.

When you walk into 3 day suit broker, they don't just hand you a suit and ask for your credit card. They take the time and effort to have you try the suit on, have it tailored to fit you perfectly, and to find perfect matches for everything. In the future, I believe PCs will be "tailored" for the customer. We may not see the "pick the processor that sounds the nicest to you" option, but instead a very detailed and intricate poll before regular users go to buy their PC. I believe custom orders will take hold among the more independent companies (Falcon NW, Alienware, Voodoo especially), and we may see PCs that are truly individial. Imagine if you could pick a case, pick a design, and have it laser cut as all part of your purchase. We're getting there, and Voodoo is leading the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven
    Imagine if you could pick a case, pick a design, and have it laser cut as all part of your purchase. We're getting there, and Voodoo is leading the pack.

Actually it has been done on a very small scale. The issue is still cost and market. The problem .. is laser cutting really enough? Honesltly if I was paying for a custom case, I dont think I would be happy with just a standard style case with a custom sidepanel. Modding has grown far beyond just cutting a design in a case. This isnt even taking the functional modders into consideration.

Have you ever priced out having a simple single part custom made from a machine shop? If not, I think you would be shocked to find out just how much custom work can be due to the setup time. Now, if you limit the customer's options then you can greatly reduce your design and setup costs. The trick is finding the happy medium.

Do I think that this type of service would be profitable rightnow? If someone can pull it off without having to charge $500 for a case, then yes I think there is enough demand for high quality work out there.