Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future in Modding

Fresh Paint

I think I may have somewhat of a different view on this. Some of you may remember maybe 6 or 7 years ago when modding first started becoming popular. Back then, the really "awesome" mods basically consisted of a window, some fans, interior lighting, and some buttons and switches - mods of the quality that CrimsonSky does were few and far between - they were just unreal to the crowd. So what happened? Manufacturers started picking up on this and started making us some cool stuff to work with - but, something else happened. Case manufacturers saw what we were doing and thought to themselves "hey, this is what they like, lets do it for them," and now I don't think I have seen 1 case at Fry's Electronics that is just a plain no-frills case. Everything has windows, lights, fans (ok, fans are always good), and weird designs to make them "cool" cases. Frankly I think most of whats out there now is just plain ugly - though most people say its cool because they haven't been exposed to this kind of thing for nearly as long so they think a window and green lights is freakin' awesome. I've actually resorted to saving old cases from the trash at work because plain cases are becoming scarce.

Anyway I think I'm off on a tangent a bit...But what is all this doing to the modding community? Well, forcing us to be more creative, which is a good thing. We are getting more full case makeovers now - no longer are we happy with a window and some fans. Will the case manufacturers ever go as far as we are now going? No way - too much time and money for not enough return. But I do think that mainstream case manufacturers are going to continue to make gaudy "futuristic" junk until the public gets sick of it. Then I think we may see a trend toward the "retro" simplistic cases (something I look forward to). I don't think the retro trend will affect modders though, we will always be more and more creative - I don't think the community will move back to the old days with just a window and some fans. OK I really don't know exactly where all that was going....

I don't think that PCs will be tailored to individuals at all in the future. I think the current trend of having a few models per brand to pick from, because you guys have to remember - the majority of PC users are not enthusiasts at all. They just want to check their email, play solitare, scan some photos, listen to music, etc. The fact of the matter is the majority of the computer using public just doesn't know or care. I think the extent of "personalizing" we will see is exactly what we have now...if you order a mac, dell, etc, online you can upgrade the processor, HD, ram, etc. It will never be profitable for a major company like Dell to offer personalized cases or anything like that.

I don't see the modding industry ever 'booming' or being extremely profitable. Sure a few companies are making decent money at it, but I don't think it will ever match the automotive market - not by a long shot.

I hope that makes sense, I'm never good at these long explanation things...

just my $0.02...

Honestly I hope the future lies simply in people picking up some tools and working with their hands to create something cool with their computer--Working with your hands and creating even simple mods gives such a great feeling of accomplishment that any beginner can be proud of.

The future of modding is in helping the first-timers out with their projects; by lending a helping hand on the forums with positive feedback and constructive input.

wow there are some really good replies here--lol..I'm like.. ::shrivel::
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 03-23-2005 at 02:31 AM.

Makes sense Siege

I remember all too well what it was like back before Modding became popular. I remember people telling me I could NEVER pull off my first Window (if you want to call it that) ... mainly since no one had ever done anything but simple shapes before. I think the date on that file was sometime around 1998. Looking back, it looks so umm.. eeew

And Crimson ... My feelings exactly. I never liked the whole Pre-mod thing. You get so much more out of it by creating the case. Yet, I know some people dont care about that. Oh well, their loss.

BTW -
    One big issue with custom cases ... While I have not done much research into this, it seems you could get into trouble with the FCC for selling an untested computer. FCC Part 15, Subpart J, Class B covers home and office computers. For this you need to have the system tested and the results submitted to the FCC, then can then make you send them a sample so they can run in house tests. Really I think this would only apply to complete systems.

Quote Originally Posted by JesDer

BTW -
    One big issue with custom cases ... While I have not done much research into this, it seems you could get into trouble with the FCC for selling an untested computer. FCC Part 15, Subpart J, Class B covers home and office computers. For this you need to have the system tested and the results submitted to the FCC, then can then make you send them a sample so they can run in house tests. Really I think this would only apply to complete systems.

Hahaha! Come and get me FCC Coppers!

Wow if this law was enforced a good lot of mom/pop pc stores would be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky

Wow if this law was enforced a good lot of mom/pop pc stores would be in trouble.
    As long as the mom and pops are not building custom cases, they could not get into trouble. That is, if I am reading this right.

http://www.part-15.org/fcc/part15/15-101.htm

I hate reading this stuff ... makes my head hurt.

Really the FCC doesn't care much about this type of stuff unless someone complains that your device is causing problems. Even then, sometimes they dont care
    Last edited by JesDer; 03-23-2005 at 03:00 AM.

ChopChopChop..

Yes yes, bring it :banana2:
    www computer-choppers com

Overclocked

Honestly I hope the future lies simply in people picking up some tools and working with their hands to create something cool with their computer--Working with your hands and creating even simple mods gives such a great feeling of accomplishment that any beginner can be proud of.

The future of modding is in helping the first-timers out with their projects; by lending a helping hand on the forums with positive feedback and constructive input.
    Agreed.

I do think that modding will turn to uncnventional cases even more. Sure the taster PC is cool, but a toilet PC, that is functional (in both respects) is where things will go. Convert your house into the ultimate computer case, though I have seen this before, will become larger.

Lights and switches are always fun, and tech for those alone is likely to change as well.

Fresh Paint

This actually brings something to mind that I thought of last night after I made my other post...

In my mind, a truly 'personalized' case doesn't have to have a lot of bells and whistles and all sorts of crazy stuff. It can be quite simple really. But the only thing it has to be is PERSONAL. In otherwords, I don't see an off-the-shelf case as 'personalized.' It's just like new cars really. People have been putting on body kits to personalize their rides, now they doing it from the factory, so its not very personal now is it? For something to be personal, you have to do it yourself (ok some stuff some people can't do themselves, but their ideas and personal touches will work). Which reminds me of a quote from 'The Incredibles,' which I just saw for the first time the other night (good flick, btw), which in a nutshell said that it everyone was "super" then no one would be. I find this true of the mainstream 'personalization' we're seeing today...
    Last edited by siege; 03-23-2005 at 08:27 PM.

ATX Mental Case

Modding has come a long way in the last few years, I remember back when putting a window in an aluminium case was shocking to most people hehe.

The cost of modding supplies has dropped so much and the coverage of it has increased so much that the modding audience is now quite massive. It can only be good for the hobby.

In terms of future, what I'm hoping for is for people to still come up with ground breaking mods which everyone likes. There are some talented people out there who have yet to get into it yet.

Oh and hello tis my first post here
    gordyhand.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel
    I feel that the modding community will continue to grow with time. As for making money at it all, i think that would be much tougher. Since the whole point of modding is to create your own work i think that there will never be much of a pre-fab modded box market. Although I do see a lot of potential in mod sales and the sales of parts. There are already pleanty of modding sales sites out there, but one more could never hurt.

Ditto.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10