Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can you change dell cases?

Default Re: Can you change dell cases?

If I were rolling out 100 machines or even 10 I would go prebuilt. For the cost you cant beat it, I value my time, my time wasted building a rig is time I could be making money.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by ZeD
    If I were rolling out 100 machines or even 10 I would go prebuilt. For the cost you cant beat it, I value my time, my time wasted building a rig is time I could be making money.
    It's not price, it's performance! I guarantee you I can build a computer for less than an equivelant name brand and kick it's sorry butt. And if you sit down for about an hour, you can set up a custom computer and have it ready to go (at least I can )

Name brand computers are nearly impossible to upgrade or tweak to your liking because the company that sells it to you locks the BIOS or uses cheap parts. With a custom comp, you can select exactly what you want and know exactly what you have and of what quality it is.

Don't get me wrong, I think I understand what you mean. I agree with you in that if you need a large amount of computers for a buisness or professional use, you get a large amount of prebuilt computers. At least with prebuilts, you have a warranty and can be sure that the computer works. But I have never encountered a problem that I could not fix.

There's my view on the subject.
    - AMD Athlon64 3200+@2.2Ghz | Gigabyte K8NSC-939 nForce3 250Gb | ASUS 6600GT 256MB |1GB Kingston ValueRAM

The SlackMeister

ok, so lets say you want to build a comp for a company. and you need to get 50 comps, will you get dell or build it? each comp will take you about an hour, so thats 50 hours... i think you'll go with dell. i know i would. also there are millions of people who dont know how comps work. all they know is how to use internet, MS Office, and games....

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by MrSlacker
    ok, so lets say you want to build a comp for a company. and you need to get 50 comps, will you get dell or build it? each comp will take you about an hour, so thats 50 hours... i think you'll go with dell. i know i would. also there are millions of people who dont know how comps work. all they know is how to use internet, MS Office, and games....
    Mrs. Lacker, did you read my last paragraph?
    - AMD Athlon64 3200+@2.2Ghz | Gigabyte K8NSC-939 nForce3 250Gb | ASUS 6600GT 256MB |1GB Kingston ValueRAM

The SlackMeister

Quote Originally Posted by MisterChief
    Mrs. Lacker, did you read my last paragraph?
    and did i say i was talking to YOU? you werent the 1 who asked question.......

PS: stop calling me that, 1st time it was funny, 2nd it was okey, now its WTF is ur problem....

Quote Originally Posted by MisterChief
    ...Don't get me wrong, I think I understand what you mean. I agree with you in that if you need a large amount of computers for a buisness or professional use, you get a large amount of prebuilt computers. At least with prebuilts, you have a warranty and can be sure that the computer works...
    This is close to off topic but I'd like to add the following.
    Don't forget that they all will be the same when you order them from some manif and so you know that x software will run on all the machines. It's not practical for a business to make each PC they have their self as it would cost them more to get the parts then pay people to put them together who could be doing other stuff to make money.
    -Gutte
    No, I'm not a compleate Idiot!
    Some parts are missing.

its simple economics I rarely build complete custom rigs anymore, I almost always go prebuilt if I need 10 or more. Anything less I get a barebone deal from tigerdirect or a motherboard\cpu\memory combo from either tigerdirect, newegg or motherboards.com, hell even 10 packs of hard drives or other components dont save you money, you'd be lucky to save 5% which is $50 if you buy 10 $100 hard drives

Fresh Paint

ZeD, so a new Dell Dimension 8400 LGA775 P4 mobo is not ATX compatible? Where did you find this out?

Fresh Paint

My bad, I'll re-iterate: Dell P4 (Pre socket 775) are all standard ATX components With the new tech involved with the 775 they have apparently changed the pinout. bastards...you would think they would have learned from their mistakes with P3 systems. Oh well...
    Sorry I meand Grendel in previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by biggos
    ZeD, so a new Dell Dimension 8400 LGA775 P4 mobo is not ATX compatible? Where did you find this out?
    the only thing ATX about it is that you can upgrade using standard components. The motherboard mounting points and even the mechanism is NOT standard, dont think you can just go and upgrade the motehrboard. The power supply is also Dell specific (the pinouts are not in a standard location but the physical connector IS ATX) you CAN use another PSU, you must however buy an adaptor or get a PC power and cooling Dell PSU. Also depending what case you have you might not even be able to physically fit a standard PSU in it unless you mod it to fit. I have a Dell XPS case here and Im going to have to repin the PSU connectors to work and also fabricate my own mounting mechanism. I dont even know if I want to continue with this since I have alot on my plate right now, so if anyone wants a nice new Dell XPS case lemme know.