Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Modder's Challenge Ideas

Default Modder's Challenge Ideas

Hi there folks, haven't announced the winner yet, but will hopefully do it tonight or tommorow.

Want to hear some ideas for new Modder's Challenge competitions, if you can come up with a challenge for the modders to overcome, then if i like it, i'll probably use it.

Bear in mind, the modder's challenge is a theoretical competition. You're not expected to actually come up with a working solution.

Also curious as to what you'd like to see as prizes for this competition in future: I was thinking things like LCD screens, Dremels, etc? Or would hardware be more down your street?

Feedback on the compy is also appreciated. Just a final warning: I'm not promising anything here.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Default Re: Modder's Challenge Ideas

Howzabout "lights galore"? LEDs and CC's? Or how about the best paint jobs?
    Jon

I hate HP. Yet here I am, using a HP G60 Series notebook with an HP desktop sitting at my home desk.... But the best part is that it was all free. Now slowly switching to Dell stuff!

You cant really do paint jobs. It's a theoretical compitition. How about somthing like a custom bezel. Or possibly the best air cooled system. Or the smallest system or the largest...
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

most hidden computer maybe

like a computer built into something else
    DELETED

Overclocked

most futuristic, most practical, most ridiculous, most vintage or primative, most liquid cooled, most advanced gamer, best server, best htpc, company themed (dangerden, thirmaltake, zalman, ect.. with there permission of course), most portable, smallest most cooled, starter case series (mod would build off a proprietary case like defyant's HP), best use of a.... (pick and item and turn it into a mod)
    EPYK : very imposing or impressive; surpassing the ordinary

lots of mod tutorials

Life is like an analogy...

well, for prizes, i think hardware is more down everyone's street. the only problem i see with that is maybe a prize wont be compatible with hardware someone already has... for instance if i won a pci-e video card, its useless because im still running off an agp card. maybe sound cards, hard drives, optical drives, fans, cases, heatsinks, or even packages for a big event. packages meaning cpu+motherboard, or motherboard and ram/video card.

as for challenges themselves... god, the sky's the limit. maybe a weight restriction, or a size restriction, or a budget. maybe something that you dont even have to create keeping in mind that it has to be possible... like a really good watercooling setup that is very elaborate, but probably not possible, and is judged on creativity or soundness of theory. there are a lot of things that could happen, and probably will eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Thanks for the feedback guys.

maybe something that you dont even have to create keeping in mind that it has to be possible...
    Remember we don't expect anyone to come up with a working solution. We have a nice prize lined up for the next competition, one that should appeal to everyone, so we're trying to come up with a suitable challenge at the mo. We've been kicking around some ideas but we want to see what you come up with.

Thanks, keep the ideas rolling.

-Dave

MitaPi

Is the next prize a conroe?!?! :p

...ha, I wish

How bout... most likely to survive an explosion or impact or something on the lines of that? I was thinking about those black box's they use in airplanes and for some reason it just hit me as a cool idea for a modders challenge.

EDIT:
    Ha, or just the opposite? The most fragile... which could also mean the most theft proof. Think of those safes with glass in them, when they crack the safe snaps shut and you can not access it anymore.

Some elaborate theft proof system would be a cool modders challenge. It would be a TRUE challenge that would require lots of thought I think.

How bout... most likely to survive an explosion or impact or something on the lines of that? I was thinking about those black box's they use in airplanes and for some reason it just hit me as a cool idea for a modders challenge.

EDIT:
    Ha, or just the opposite? The most fragile... which could also mean the most theft proof. Think of those safes with glass in them, when they crack the safe snaps shut and you can not access it anymore.

Some elaborate theft proof system would be a cool modders challenge. It would be a TRUE challenge that would require lots of thought I think.
    I like this idea very much! How to make the case invincible...the ultimate hardware protection? Great idea.

-Dave

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    I like this idea very much! How to make the case invincible...the ultimate hardware protection? Great idea.

-Dave

Sweet I was really into this concept like 2 years ago and I came up with loads of case ideas. I got this one in the bag.
    Need a sig