Thread: Laptop screen on desktop?

Default Laptop screen on desktop?

Hey

I've heard that laptops use propriatary hardware to prevent users modifying laptop screens onto desktops (Which is dumb, because I've never seen any slimline LCD's)

So basically, I have a laptop with a 14.1 inch TFT 1024x768 LCD screen, with a dead fluro light in it, I have a use for the laptop without a screen, and i'm going through a modding stage so i'll probbably cannibalize (and destroy) the laptop, so i'm wondering if I can get the LCD working with a VGA, and have the laptop running headless... Is this possible?

The laptop is a Toshiba Tecra 8000, 300mhz, 64mb ram, and has no real use (other than a modding practice) and I dont mind if it doesnt have a screen so it would be kewl ^^,

Cheers
    -Fragged

Default Re: Laptop screen on desktop?

ok, first: yes it is possible to run a laptop screen on VGA-plug, but it requires some serious modifications... there is a thread on this forum already about it. It's in idea zone "recycling laptop" or something similar...
    If you're not familiar with electronics, then don't try it... it's really not very simple..

second: yes, you CAN run a laptop headless. In fact I have my old acer travelmate 220 running without a screen at this very moment. I connected a normal crt monitor and I'm running windows vista on it, with no problems at all...

You could also turn your laptop into some kind of server and make it accesible with some remote control program. but I doubt it would be very usefull, with those specs

Overclocked

Default Re: Laptop screen on desktop?

just run SSH or VNC, and you'll be reet.

and, we are having a discussion about Laptop screen mods. the reason it cant be done is cos the display driver, thats behind the screen on desktop monitors, is missing from laptops. the graphics chip talks straight to the panel. so you would need to write a display driver app. best idea would be to just extend the ribbons on the monitor, and hide the lappy under the desk, and leave the screen ontop.