Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scratch-built air filters

Fresh Paint

Default Scratch-built air filters

I'm in the planning stages of a fully scratch-built PC (I'll post a log when I have something to show off), and I want to add some filtering on the incoming air. I find that this isn't a very common item to just pick up pre-built though. I've found only a couple of filters designed to fit onto fans, and they're pre-modded with a visual motif (spider web, etc.) that I would have to remove first.

So I got to thinking about what it would take to make a filter myself. Just something simple and inexpensive that I could replace every other month or so to keep the inside as dust-free as possible.

Anyone ever try this kind of thing before? I was thinking using some kind of dusting cloth as a base, but I need good air flow through it as not to stress the fans. Swiffer cloths? Part of a vacuumn cleaner bag?

Any other ideas you guys can come up with?

***Edit***
    After posting, I realized this probably would fit better in Idea Zone. Mods, feel free to move it if you feel the same.

Overclocked

Default Re: Scratch-built air filters

Soem screening that we can find on doors. They seems to work fine

Overclocked

yeah, fine window screen would probably be ok. you can also pick up air conditioner filters and cut them to fit (some are actually designed for this), but that might kill your airflow. i'd hit a home depot (or whatever hardware store you have available) and just look around at their filters.

Fresh Paint

Hadn't thought of just using door screen. Nice idea.
    I want it as dust free as possible, so I might use door screen and then some kind of fine fabric that has good breathibility.

I'll have to get some small pieces of these things and test them out with a fan to see if they lose any air flow.

If anyone else has ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'm actually surprised that air filtering isn't more common in mods as dust buildup can effect heat dissipation.

Overclocked

Well, real modders will keep their cases as clean as possible... by cleaning it like once a month

Actually, I did saw the door screening somewhere, but I dont remember where exacly, the guy actually only used the door screening and it was filled with dust after a while of use. So basically, you buy some screening, cuyt it to the shape, make it fit, and you clean it when you believe it's becoming cloggy. Of course, it will block a bit of airflow, but if you don't want to clean your whole case every month... that may be your solution

Forget the door screening, go to a home supply store and pickup Forced air register filters. You can get them in 2 sizes that will cut down nicely to any fan size. They let lots of air flow and filter way better than screen material.

Like this:

http://www.achooallergy.com/webventf...sp?utm_id=1200

If you're feeling particularly ghetto, you could also use something like the Swiffer replacement cloth that's used on the swiffer dusters. Stretched over one side of the fan this should work well for keeping dust out, the only real issue as stated above is air flow, so my suggestion use good quality large fans.
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::

Water Cooled

something i'm planning on using is the wrapping I found on some delivered flowers. its kind of a spun fabic like trhe stuff under a stuffed chair and its purple.

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nagoshi
    Well, real modders will keep their cases as clean as possible... by cleaning it like once a month
    Real modder's seal their cases and watercool em'.

Using door screening sounds like a good idea, but I have another recomendation for you.

For my home built airbrush booth, I use furnace filters to filter paint out of my exhausted fumes. It's like 5 bucks for 3-5 of em', and they work quite well, allowing airflow while still filtering. Check them out at your local home depot, one would cover like 50 fans.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

ATX Mental Case

Women's nylon stockings. Don't ask, but it works great as a filter and keeps the smallest of smallest out. Plus regular cleaning is still needed.