Thread: LED Color control

Fresh Paint

Default LED Color control

Hi there, jsut curious if anyone knows of any possible software available to control the functions of the led lights, such as color changes, dimming while dvd plays, things of this sort. Alienware however does this technique with their new ugly cases and it's supposively software controlled, but I havnt been able to find anything, software and hardware wise on this subject.

Default Re: LED Color control

It depends where your lighting is connected

I have 3 x Blue LED Fan's, and they have both the 3 pin motherboard connector and the 4 pin molex connector (the one that goes to the power supply) When plugged into the motherboard I can supposedly controll the fan speed, which also controlls the power going to the lights, but not one without the other...

the 4 Pin molex connectors dont work, as the PSU isnt exactly smart...

The next step up from controlling it via your motherboard is to invest in a Fan Speed Controller (which are usually $50 or less australian) there are several types, most get there power from a molex and pump it into a fan (or several depending on the type you buy), and consist of a power knob which allows you to increase or decrease the voltage of those fans... Theres 3 types, the ones that sit inside your case, the ones that take a PCI slot, and the ones that sit in a bay at the front of your computer....

I hope this makes sence... tiered... wee bit drunk....

nite

Fresh Paint

i see, it makes sense, even when drunk lol. Im guessing Alienware made their own custom software for control their new setups. I just didnt know what type of light they used for it to change colors. And i dont want to spend 1k for a crap comp just to see how the lighting was done.

Thank you for your reply though, it is definately helpful!

You could also buy one of those front panel coontroller things. It comes with 4 LED lasers (which you can mount anywhere, such as the 4 corners of your case pointing inward). You get your basic colors of light, and therefore can adjust the brightness of each one, thereby adjusting the color. There are also sound activated cathode lights you could get, with adjustable sensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by bored View Post
    Hi there, jsut curious if anyone knows of any possible software available to control the functions of the led lights, such as color changes, dimming while dvd plays, things of this sort. Alienware however does this technique with their new ugly cases and it's supposively software controlled, but I havnt been able to find anything, software and hardware wise on this subject.
    Hi Bored, there is now something called the Computer Color Cannon that does what you want and more and all it requires is a USB port and the driverless software (manual light control with modes like lava lamp and pulsing, turn the light on/off via a timer, and also iTunes and WinAmp visualization plug-ins available so the light changes color/flashes to the beat of music) runs on recent Windows 32 and 64 bit OS's. It is made up of 30 super bright mini high intensity 100,000+ hour LED's and has a one year warranty as well, plus the light is only about 2 inches by 2 inches diameter so it is pretty small. Check out a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmUVlY4u-yA

and here is the website for it:

www.computercolorcannon.com

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Wow nice thread necromancy!

Whoops, I didn't see it was an old post, still relevant information though for anyone interested.

I'd have missed the purrrrty color cannon..... looks well neat

"I spent a lot of money on booze, women and fast cars, the rest I just squandered." George Best

PROJECT: DIRTY BOMB

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

$150 for that color cannon? holy crap