23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Idea

12 52.17%
  • Mixed Feelings

11 47.83%
  • Bad Idea

0 0%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Into the unknown I go... (with pictures!)

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Re: Into the unknown I go... (with pictures!)

Ohh, paint it in silver with a light blue/blueish white lighting inside! That would be sweet!

I've always found this looking awesome. I think a PC would look nice with a "brushed steel" look. I've even found a computer with real woodgrain for the case .
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

MitaPi

Just a quick update...

Today I thought about what kind of material I should use to construct the over all case. I thought of alluminum or cold rolled steel at first but then I thought of something that would be WAY easier and WAY cheaper AND without making it seem like I half assed it because I didnt want to do all that work...

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=334&

I'll use Weld-On to attatch the pieces together and then I will paint the inside with "Insert Color". But what thickness should I get? 1/8th or 3/16ths?

I think I might just use black on the inside of the acrylic case. That way it will not only look nice but I will have a much broader range of window color to choose from as well.

Here's some slightly updated picture as well.

ATX Mental Case

This design is looking very good.
    m4gnum.com/tardis/ - Doctor Who inspired case

MitaPi

Quote Originally Posted by m4gnum
    This design is looking very good.
    Thanks!

Well I think I finally found the name I want to use for this project/rig...

"Audeamus".

Did someone mention a hamster house? ROFL! I am so glad I decided to paint the inside...

It's an interesting design. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Scratchbuilding isn't easy though, what tools/materials have you at your disposal?

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

MitaPi

Thank's Dave. Yea, It's a pretty interesting design for sure. Probably one of those designs where you are kind of like eh and hmm as compared to some other designs that are like woah and wow. But finished products are always better looking than the sketchup versions. Which I am becoming pretty good at if I do say so myself! I remember my first attempt.. ah.. how frustrating that was! ^_^

Basically.... Whatever 200 bucks can buy me for right now. Of course I wont attempt this all at once and I will surely take my time and read up like mad on everything I need to know to do it right. I will also have all of you here at TBCS as well as a few friends I know that are into modding to help me out.

Yep, I have 200 bucks though and I am really wanting to buy a new wireless adapter and speaker system first with half of that. The other half will go towards materials and what not. Right now I have about 150 bucks worth of stuff to buy from TapPlastics.com. I will just order the acrylic sheets for now though. Which comes to about 80 bucks for five 3/16ths thick sheets that are 2 feet by 2 feet.

Just on a side note... I think what I am going to do is this. Weld-on the entire case except for the window side. So now I have to figure out how I will make the window side of the case removable/detatchable. Maybe nuts and bolts? I want it to be clean looking so I dont know what I am going to do just as of yet.

EDIT:
    Oh yea, that reminds me... What thickness would you or anyone else reccommend?? I'm starting to doubt very much that 3/16ths will be thick enough. The only problem is that 1/2'' and above cost alot...

D'Oh

... i wonder (and ask the experts too, 'cause i'm interested too): will the case be strong enough if no bolts are used? no inside structure? something to add resistance? just weld-on... because i have some ideas that would strengthen this design and keep it "clear" while using 3/16".. which by the way, is very strong anyway.. 1/2" is good for waterblocks!.. and i bet a case made from 1/2" would weigh a lot too..

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

MitaPi

That actually is a good question. Weld-On fuses the two pieces of acrylic together into one solid piece. Unlike glue. so I didnt even give that a thought. But that is def worth looking into! Thanks dgrmkr.

...well whats your idea? lol Dont leave me hanging! Thats why I have this posted in the "idea" thread ^_^. If I could use bolts and still have it clean looking (Meaning that it has to look nice, not as in they have to be un-seen.) I would. Remember I am painting the inside of the case as well. Most likely black. But that is still up for debate.

Here is a picture of the case in clear black as well as red windows.

Dude, the red looks saweet lol. I have had this idea for a while. If you decide to use a liquid cooling system, you could run clear tubes between the sections with colored coolant in them. Then, just add a heart monitor. lol. But some UV lights would look nice in it. I just started to mod my Emachines. This will be my first project. I'll do a sketchup for it...

-Kevin <(who does this remind you of? lol):p
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.