Thread: looking to repaint case

Fresh Paint

Default looking to repaint case

Hello all

Well after looking at some of the sick mods that are being posted around here, this feels like a really n00b question to ask....apologies in advance.

Anyways, I bought a pre-made case, the XG Dragon, from an online retailer. The only problem is that I accidentally ordered the case in red, instead of black, and it looks absolutely awful, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, if I wanted to return the case, I'd have to pay shipping to return mine AND for the new one....furthermore, I'd be out of a case for at least a week.

Here's an image for the curious:

www.emaxasp.com/product_images/ME23-DRAGON-R.jpg

Anyways, I've been thinking that the thing wouldn't look so bad if I repainted the case and changed the color of the LED fans. I'd like to paint all of the red black, and replace the blue LEDs with orange. I can definitely handle doing the LEDs myself, but I don't know **** about painting. I've been looking around the web for some kind of guide to repainting your own case, and I can't really find anything, so here I am.

If anyone has a good guide that will teach me how to paint a case, by all means, I'm happy to rtfm. If not, here are my questions:

1) My case is part colored plastic (the front and handle) and the rest is painted aluminum. What kind of paint do I need?
    2) Can I paint the plastic?
    3) Do I need to remove the old paint somehow first, or can I paint right over it?
    4) I assume this paint comes in a spray can? How do I prevent myself from accidentally painting parts I dont want to paint?

Dumb questions, I know. Thank you in advance for your help.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Re: looking to repaint case

WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440