Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So can you guys help me along the way as I eventually mod?

Default So can you guys help me along the way as I eventually mod?

The main thing for me right now, is first, I need more money, so it'll take me a bit to save up enough. At first I was thinking of just getting a completely clear acrylic case, and just doing the basic flashy stuff to make it look good. But now, I'm wanting to go all out hardcore with the modding. I have never done any modifications like this to a computer before. I'll probably stick with the acrylic, but perhaps buy the acrylic and build my own. So first, does anybody know where I could buy some good acrylic at a good price? And would anyone be able to guide me as I assemble it? What kind of tool would I need for creating holes and such? I just have so many questions about everything, so I should probably just start with one area, but I don't know. I was thinking of doing something crazy, like building a subwoofer or something into the case, in the bottom front area. I don't even know where to start with all of this. I need some guidance!

Default Re: So can you guys help me along the way as I eventually mod?

Well, welcome to the forums.

There are tons of useful threads about acrylic. I havent used any yet in a mod but i have cut and drilled it before. A jig saw works best unless you have a drill press and a side cutting bit(not sure of the technical name). It will melt some of the plastic and it might look like your messed up royaly. Just snap off the melted plastic and you should have a perfect edge underneath. You can use a wood drill bit to drill holes.

Hang around the forums and all your questions will get answered.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

I plan to stick around. One thing is I don't have current access to any tools like that, and as I said, it's still going to take me time to save up enough money to get anything. Do you think I'd be able to order it from a company and also have them drill it?

MitaPi

Got neighbors? They are usually pretty handy for tools if you are good at buttering up to people. ^_^

Having a company do it for you would most likely cost ALOT I think. Like I said, just find a neighbor and see what he/she gots and ask him/her nicely if you can use them momentarily.

Happy Modding,
    MitaPi

My neighbors are really friendly actually. They often give me homemade cookies. Not sure what they might have for tools, but I might as well ask.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe
    My neighbors are really friendly actually. They often give me homemade cookies.
    Can I move into your neighbourhood?

Welcome to the forums.

Aycrlic can be bought at some hardware stores, art stores, places that manufacture throphies and industrial outlets.
    Need a sig

MitaPi

I WANT A COOKIE! lol

The last time, they were making cookies and called to ask if they could borrow two eggs. I got a giant plate of cookies that were made using those eggs. As for a subwoofer, what I was originally thinking was putting something big. Then I took a look at the subwoofer I use for my computer. It's JUST under the size of an 80mm fan, so I can't just directly screw it in. Might as well go for something big. It might interfere with the amount of drives I could have, and I'd definately have to make sure it was magnetically protected. Then after that I;d have to worry about pressure blowing the case apart. But if done right, it could probably move some air for cooling

And besides spending money on modding, I still need some to actually buy myself some new components >_>

I'm going to build a new computer, as the one I'm on now completely sucks.

That's classified.

The integration of a sub woofer into you case is a good idea, but I think you will need a way to dampen the vibrations from it so the case doesnt get rattled apart (and will probably unplug something). Perhaps have a wooden box (do subs need to be in a wooden box?) in your case and put some kind of rubber in between your sub and case or suspend with some stretchy string.

You souldn't have to worry about pressure if you have fans in your case (which you should :p) because the air can escape there.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I'm not so sure. Subs have pretty big magnets in them - and magnets and electronics aint always a healthy combination :s

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey