Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not doing well with the rattle can...

Default Not doing well with the rattle can...

And here's the evidence (I know there's a lot of orange peel, but that's not what bothers me - actually it's the parts that aren't orange peeled that bug me more because they stick out like a sore thumb):

Why is it all streaky like that? Is it because I used metallic paint? This is the stuff I'm using:

Some areas of it look really good, but it's very uneven and the finish is kinda grainy and dull in some areas. I'm not necessarily looking for a perfect mirror finish, but something relatively consistent would be nice. Am I spraying too close, too far away, too fast, too slow, etc? TIA.

Oh yeah, and I know this is the inside of my case panel. I'm just doing it for practice before I do the outside of the panel. Apparently it's a good thing I did.

Default Re: Not doing well with the rattle can...

try a couple more coats.

Lol, I'm trying to get a pro painter for my air compressor.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Water Cooled

It looks like you have vertical banding in the picture.
    - it looks like you put too much on in 1 layer and a little too close.
    How many coats got you to this point?
    Did you sand between coats? What grit sandpaper did you use?
    How long did you wait between coats?

Its not terrible, let it dry real good, sand it a little and in a few coats you should have it evened out.

To me it seems asthough you either under sprayed or over sprayed. I would do what Cevinzol said.

You dont have to use rust paint but whatever.

Remember:
    Hold the can 10-12 inches from the surface.
    Hold the can at the same angle realitive to the case throughout each painting stroke.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

That was about 4 or 5 coats of the color and a couple light coats of the clear just to see if it would even things out for me. I'm pretty sure that the primer is completely covered at this point and I'm just moving the banding around when I put on more coats. It seems like the light areas are coming up on the edge of wherever I spray and the texture of those areas sucks.

The banding is actually horizontal to where I'm standing when I spray, it just ended up oriented that way in the picture. It's parallel to the direction that I'm painting though.

I've been waiting for 2 days between coats and wetsanding with 600 grit sandpaper. Not quite as high as what I've seen in the guides, but it was the best I could find. And like I said I'm not too concerned with getting it mirror-smooth, just consistent.

I'm just using the rust paint because that was what the metallic stuff was and the primer and clear were recommended on the can.

It's very possible that I oversprayed it because I tried moving a little closer to get rid of the problem. It seemed to get worse the further I moved the can away. I guess I'll have to try lighter coats and hope for the best.

If your going to re-try, make sure you have a good layer of primer.

Lay the panel or piece on a flat surface and paint down at it. The metal flake tends to sink in the paint and if you have the piece verticle it will want to move to the bottom. Which might explain the effect in the photo. (which is missing so im going off my stoner memory)
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

I did have at least a couple of coats of primer under there, although I forgot to say that in my last post. I'm also painting it on the ground so it's already on a flat surface (which can be a royal PITA when a bug decides to wander on to it).

ATX Mental Case

Hey just an FYI. I used the EXACT same paint....expcept I used the black metallic. the clear coat SUCKS!!!!! You will get a higher shine without it. I did 2 coats of primer, 4 coats of paint, and 3 coats of clear. I had to do the 4th coat of paint because the 3rd coat of clear screwed it all up. On my last coat of clear I switched to Krylon Clear coat....but that was still about the same looking as the reustoleum. anyway, it will be shinyier (is that a word? ) without the clear.

The rustoleum clear is difficult to work with. you are either too close or to far and it goes on kind of gloppy. The Krylon goes on very smooth and easy to use. Plus I hated using the handle. you just have that good of control over the can. IMO

PS. it gets expensive with the stupid metallic paint doesnt it? It goes on so light you have to do multiple coats and lots of cans!!!

anyway, let me know if you got more questions.

Kyle

Also for a super shiny clear coat, go to autozone and get teh dupli color stuff. Or maybe try a thin coat of polyurathane.

hth

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

[QUOTE=cybertron] It seems like the light areas are coming up on the edge of wherever I spray and the texture of those areas sucks.
    [QUOTE]

here is most likely what is going on with that. it sounds to me like when you are spraying that there is an undirected mist cloud of paint that is settleing on the outside areas of where you spray. when these regions dry you get a rough speckled area. it does not match the luster of the other areas when you turn your workpeice near a light. its rough to the touch. feels kind of bumpy. i used to have the same issue. the solution to mine was all in how i was painting. instead of haveing the can at a 90 degree angle to the work, i now put it at about a 45 degree angle. this way i can constantly control where that cloud is. i work from one end of the peice to another kind of pushing it allong. this will help prevent any of this settleing as wherever the paint tries to do that you will end up painting over it as you go allong anyways. as for your banding, i would say that it looks like you put too much on there in one pass and probably a little too close. remember to keep your first few coats kind of sparse. the only other thing i can think of that might be an issue is the acctual spray nozzle.
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

gobygoby: So did you run into this sort of thing at all? I'll keep that in mind about the clear coat. It's hard to tell how much of the bad texture on it right now is from that and how much is because the paint underneath is no good.

Cannibal23: That's exactly what it looks like to me. I'll give the 45 degree angle thing a shot next time I paint. It seems like that should help a lot, and then I won't feel like I need to be as close to keep the cloud to a minimum so the banding might go away too. I need to go reread the painting guides I've been using and see if they mention that anywhere. If not, I think I'll flame the authors...j/k of course.