Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not doing well with the rattle can...

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Not doing well with the rattle can...

Cybertron,
    Yes I ran into the rough texture as well. It might be from what cannibal has said. I had similar results.

Check out my build log for further info.
    http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...lcs-build.html

Even if its the extra paint floating in the air, its pretty much unavoidable. I did the painting out in my garage, doors open and a few fans blowing out. Still got the rough surface. I also painted outside, and still got the rough surface. It seemed to be based on the day....funny....but really depending on the humidity, and the day, my paint job would turn out differently, with each coat. Check out my build log, that might help...

Okay, at least I'm not the only one. It's kind of scary how much stuff I can relate to in your worklog already. And I'm just getting started.

I did find a painting guide with a video, and he shoots his at an angle too. I'm a little disgusted because after one coat that paint job looks better than mine. That definitely seems to be the way to go though.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I might run out of paint soon, but I need to go back to either Menard's or Home Depot and get myself a mask anyway. I guess I didn't get one in the first place because I was painting outside, but after still being able to smell the clearcoat last night when I was far away from it, I think I had better. Here's hoping I haven't already given myself lung cancer.

Well the good news is you wont get cancer. You might get high though. The solvents they use in spray bombs are STRONG!!! One strong sniff of Toluene (the main solvent used in just about every brand) and your buzzing for at least an hour.

If you want to remove what you allready sprayed, get some Acetone. It loves to disolve half dried paint and primer.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Well, upon further review: Wind SUCKS!

I think if I can ever get a nice calm day to paint, the 45 degree angle thing will help it look good. The problem is that when the wind keeps gusting through and blowing the paint all over the place it's really hard to get a consistent coat. I really need to find a way to paint on my balcony, but I haven't managed to find a box big enough to contain the overspray and keep it from going all over the siding. Although I like the metallic blue color, I don't think the apartment people will be amused.

On the plus side, during a brief lull in the wind I managed to paint about half of this piece pretty evenly, so I think I'm at least capable now of doing a nice job on the outside of the case. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

try to find a cardboard box in the back of some local shop. that should be able to make a tiny wind shelter for you and will contain all the over spray. if you know someone that is moveing they will likely have a big enough box or the ability to grab you one when they get their moveing boxes.
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

Yeah, I picked up a couple of cheap painting tarps that are probably big enough to completely cover my porch. I actually cut them in half and leave them folded once because I don't need anything that big. I used one a couple of times now and it seems to be working well but I'm still just layering so I don't know exactly what it's going to look like in the end. Regardless, I'm getting a much more consistent texture this way which is really what I was looking for. Will post pics when I'm done.

excelent. glad to hear your getting somewhere

Gah! This is clearly intended as a test of my patience. First the weather was crappy for painting for about a week so I got nothing done, then it turns out this new can is just junk. I've put on a couple more coats but the last one after the can started cooling off (I set it in a bowl of warm water beforehand to help the propellant) it started spitting something terrible. The finish is actually fairly consistent, but on half of it I have nice evenly spaced blotches of darker blue because of the can. Oh well, I think one more coat with a new can should do it for the color and then I'll have to decide what to do about the clear.

On the plus side, at least now if nothing else I could probably just leave it as is and most people would never know the difference.

true you could leave it... but you would know and it would bother you. other wise you probably wouldent bother posting it right?? give it a sanding and another coat so you can put your mind at ease dude. when your finished painting are you cleaning out the nozzle like it says to on the can? turn it up side down and press the nozzle 2 times short burst to blow out any paint thats sitting in there and will clog it up next time you use it.

Yeah, I'm planning to finish it properly. I still have the panel on the other side that I want to do too so I'll use the extra paint. I always clear the nozzle when I'm done, but I'm pretty sure it's a propellant thing with this can. Unfortunately I didn't realize it was a pretty old can until I got it home. There was even dust on top of it and the cap was an older style than my first can. Should have known to take the longer trip to the first store with the good paint section instead of being lazy and going to the closer store.