Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Few questions

Fresh Paint

Default Few questions

1. Where do you buy your supplies, such as mod equipment, tools, plexi glass, pc hardware. I've been happy with newegg so far.

2.How do I cut into the side of my case to make a window.

3.If i have a PC with good hardware, about 5 led fans, and a fan controller how big of PSU do I need?

I've built my own gaming pc, but modding is new to me. Thanks for your help.

MitaPi

Default Re: Few questions

Acrylic you say? google tap plastics.
    Window? Can you say dremel? ^_^
    psu? 500-600 watts will almost always be enough.

Thats just a lil bit of information. Someone with more experience will come along and help you better than I did. ^_^

Welcome to the mod scene! I guaruntee you will find inspiration and beyond on this website.

-MitaPi

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

1. Ok try your local hardware shop for plexi the hardware stores refer to it as clear perspex but anyway. You use a rotray cutting tool or whats called a dremel tool for cutting out parts of case. To cut fan holes hole cutting attactments for power drills can be purchased.

For a good range of modding coponents in the US try http://www.xoxide.com/. For comuter parts in the US neweg is best good choice by you there.

2. To make a window in the side of your case you can buy kits that come with plexi and rubber fittings etc. or you can buy it yourself. First you have to cut a hole in the side of your case using a rotary tool (dremel) rember to mark it up first and tape the areas you arent cutting out. Then precced with the cut. Then you sand the rough edges and use either rubber or some other means to secure the plexi either on the back on the inside of the panel or in the hole itself.

Here is a good site with many guides on cutting with a rotary tool and installing plexi.

http://www.mnpctech.com/CaseModTutorials.html

3. It really depends on your components how much power you need. Around 500 to 600 watts should do you.

Here is a site with a PC power cacualtor which can be used to work out your power requirments.

http://www.journeysystems.com/power_...calculator.php

Hope all this helps
    Need a sig

MitaPi

lol told yah someone would come along with better information ^_^

Nice job simon

FYI, I have had better luck cutting the side of cases with a jigsaw. The jigsaw leaves a cleaner edge and I only use one blade.

At least for me...

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer
    1. Where do you buy your supplies, such as mod equipment, tools, plexi glass, pc hardware. I've been happy with newegg so far.
    PC Hardware - Newegg, ZipZoomFly, ebay, wherever's cheapest
    Tools - Home Depot, Lowe's, Pepboys (for fine grit sand paper)
    Plexi-Home Depot, Lowe's

2.How do I cut into the side of my case to make a window.
    It's fairly simple; draw it out first, drill a pilot hole, use a jigsaw, then use a file to get your edges real close to where you drew. I don't like using those rubber edges, mostly for the look, but it's a matter of preference. I just rivet the window to my case, or simply use a strong double-sided tape of some sort.

3.If i have a PC with good hardware, about 5 led fans, and a fan controller how big of PSU do I need?
    This is a bit of a vague question because your hardware will influence what PSU you need more than your fans. For example, runnign SLI or the new GeForce 7950 GX2 will require a bit beefier PSU, with or without 5 LED fans. But what people said 500-600W should do you just fine.

I'm building an overclocked, watercooled, gaming monster, and I'm using a 640W I believe. I think it's 640, I know it's 600+. It arrives tomorrow, I'll let you know then

Fresh Paint

thanks a ton everyone.

ATX Mental Case NamesAreUseless's Avatar

if you are gonna cut a hole onto the side of the case drill a starting hole and use a jigsaw or bandsaw ora dremel

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

I thought Jigsaws didn't have enough power for case cutting and that the blades couldn't stand up to the challange.
    Need a sig

Super Secret Agent

On the power supply side...

If you invest in a good one, 5-600w is serious overkill for almost any system. The SPCR webby has tested and tested systems power requirements and the results are always a lot lower than that. 300-450w will drive most systems. The power supply market is driven by advertising rather than need.

I would personally rather spend the money on a good 300w than a poor 600w. The amount of available power is likely to be similar where it matters.

I personally run a silverstone 300nf which powers a PC, a playstation and will soon be powering a psone screen to boot. I dont see it reaching its limits soon.

If your running arrays of sli graphics cards and banks of hard drives then you might need 500w
    www.Justblair.co.uk My depository for electronic projects and articles