Thread: Dance Dance Revolution

Overclocked

Default Dance Dance Revolution

Im being in a DDR rush these times, and I thort about taking a computer and use it as a DDR box. I currenly have the StepMania game which is used by many ''DDR arcade games'' for PC, and I have that Pentium2 lying around that would meet the minimum requirements for the game. Id need to try it on that CPU first, bit first lemme explain what Id do.

First, Id use my 3DFX VooDoo3 3000 AGP card for the TV-out, and Id use the screen only upon primal configuration on the computer. Once Windows and DDR has been installed, the keyboard/mouse/screen are going to be unplugged definately (well, until I decide to set something else) and use the TV-out to play the game on the TV. Using the right wires Id convert the speaker jack to two RCA wires so ID use a RCA wire system to fully plug the computer on the TV.

The other thing, is that my motherboard is an ATX-sized (probably full-size), and I dont want these heavy cases. Fur sure there is only going to be one hard disk and nothing else, and I could remove most of the thngs inside the case (such as the drive case, etc), but the case would still be too heavy. Maybe I could use a dremel and cut large windows on all the panels I could, and put cathodes lights in it, as well as etching something like a huge DDR or the StepMania logo on it.

Id be using an aluminium-framed case so it'S going to be even less heavy, but still too much for what Im planning to do with it (take it to other homes to play, etc).

What would you recommend me to do with that idea? Its still whirlwinding in my head, but I really like the home-arcade style of that idea. Id use the arcade panel Cana-Balistic have, but id have to get it shipped to Quebec, and I dont think I could really do something, like putting an full-size ATX motherboard in it.

Overclocked

Default Re: Dance Dance Revolution

make a DDR pad out of aluminium and acrylic, then mount the pc in the base.

Overclocked

The DDR pad actually will be two XBox pads, that I will modify some breakaway wires into USB plugs, then Ill download the right drivers and install them.

It would be a good idea, but the pads are made of foamy materials, and are at least 3'x3' (dont remember the exact size),and I dont want to build a pad. My first goal would be something transportable, since I can fold the foam pads I can easily move them. And ID like the computer case to be the lightest possible, so I dont have to move like 15lbs of materials from m ycar to the TV. So I thought about the huge windows in every panels of the case, it'd probly make it more lighter. Adding some cathodes in it would make a cool dancing box style.

The idea was good, chedabob, but ID like it to be portable T_T Using the TVs to provide the video and sound instead of having the little computer screen, and the PC solution is cooler in any ways since you can have all the songs from all the DDR versions in it, instead of buying them.

Why does it have to be in a computer case? You could get an old stereo or somthing smaller than a pc case.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Overclocked

I need a 200-250W ATX power supply, and enough space for an full-size ATX motherboard, a video card and a hard drive. And I left my job where I was working, so I odnt have access to profesionnal plasma metal cuts. The idea would be good, tho, but I need my P2 motherboard to be fitting somewhere..

And unless I can make a full-sized ATX motherboard + the Slot1 CPU + the Video Card + a CPU + a 200-250W PSU fit into anything smaller than a PC case without too much work, then ID like to know. I just remembered many NES mods that were turned into PCs, but I dont have a micro-ATX motherboard.

And well, I could put some handles on the case, and find a way to store the two dance mats in the case, it could be even better. The handles wouldn't be a too hard of a work, and I could find a wya to make some kind of folding place to fit the not-used mats there.

Overclocked

get some acrylic sheets, and some L brackets. Use acrylic screws to attach them together, and mount the board inside. to save space, mount the psu above the PCI slots. and the hard drive if you can. just put a few more fans in for cooling.

Overclocked

Great idea, ID never thought about such a simple idea. I could use a motherboard tray lying around in one of my cases, screw my motherboard on it, and fix the tray to the acrylic case.

Won'T an acrylic case make static, tho? And Ill probly use one 80mm fan that will blow air in the case, and make an airtrap on the other side of the case to let the hot air out. Should be fairly allright.

Something I don't want to do, tho, is the PCI slots at the rear of the case. Maybe I could find a way to fix the cards direcly in the case, but not letting them out, so the wires would be plugged permanently ''inside'' the case. And Id manage to find a way to make my two USB ports available so that I can plug my dance mats.

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

as far as pads...how much you lookin to spend......

ive been plannin on doing the same kind of thing....im a huge ddr fan...(its how i met my girlfriend actually)

id say go with 2 cobalt flux pads....except the fact they are $200 US each

but they are practically indestuctable...
    they are worth every penny

then after that buy a 15 dollar usb to playstation controller adapter

Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticman View Post
    stunning, how does one tap a hole?

Overclocked

No, the XBox is using an USB interface. You cut the end of a xbox pad wire, then cut the end of a normal USB wire, link them together, download the right driver on the net, and uve got a dance pad for your PC.

Nah, Im planning on buying standard pads for XBox, they are around $30 each over here. Fairly cheap, but Im not as fan as you Standard foam mats will be perfect for my personal use. And if anything happens to the pads, my mum is still there to help me fix them

But the acrylic case seems to be a good idea. Ill think about it again and do something about it. I dont want to buy the game on XBox, since you only have a limited number of songs, and you must pay to get a part of the others. And currenly on my computer I have 438 songs, that number includes ALL the songs from ALL the DDR series, and many other cool songs. Whats even better, it havent costed me a single penny to get all them, except for the internet access.