Thread: How to ?

Overclocked

Default How to ?

So what do i need to watercool? Is it worth doing the gpu, the hard drive(s) and the chipset, or just the CPU? and what order do i plug them in?

also, would 4 small reservoirs restrict the flow two much? if you read my worklog (project t-virus), you'll see what im thinking.

Default Re: How to ?

I'm not an expert but you need a res (or the 4 you mentioned) a pump, a CPU block, a radiator, if you want a GPU block and ofcourse some tubing and connection stuff. It would also be handy if you could refill the system easy (and maybe also drain) so you might want to add a fill-/drainport...

As for the HDDs... you could cool them, but I don't think it is really necissary, it just depends on how far you want to go... you can also cool your northbridge and southbridge chips...

hope that helps you...

MitaPi

Well first of all you need a system worth water cooling. Unless you are running some stuff that puts out a good amount of heat you really dont need it other than for your CPU. But if you do need that lil bit of extra super cooling. Then go ahead and go for it. It does run you a nice pocket of cash though. Thats why I have decided to only cool my CPU. Look at the ZALMAN Reserator V1 2. That is a pretty good cpu/gpu cooler. It is exspensive though. If you want to cool JUST your cpu and you want to skip the agony of putting one together. Then I would advise the Thermaltake Silent Water. Its basically awesome at the price of about 70 dollars at Frozencpu.com. The best feature I think is the fact that you can take it out of the box, put into your computer, and turn it on. Its all preassembled and pre filled with coolant so its ready to go right out of the box. Well I hope I said something useful! Good luck!

Edit:
    Oh and about the 4 small reservoirs. Anything extra will of course slow down the flow. It really all depends on your pump. Maybe you can dual pump if you are thinking about cooling more than just your cpu? Or you can just buy a 70-120 dollar one. That would do it.

Overclocked

K, thanks, i think ill go with just the cpu. ill have a think about the pump situation

Overclocked

what size should the reservoir be? cos i thought it would be cool to make my little t-virus vials, but run the water through the helix. add a blue dye to it. it would be cool, but id have to run it through a lot. but i could fill the outside of the vial with water, and put mini-radiators in the top.

There's no point in just cooling the CPU-the watercooling only justifies it's cost when you watercool the whole system. If you're going to spend all that money on a watercooling setup to cool just your CPU then you should definately consider getting a HSF instead.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

MitaPi

Unless you get the tt silent water. It's cheap and I havent heard anything bad about it yet. But if you do spend alot then you better make sure that you are getting the most bang for your buck.