Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prices?

Anodized

Default Prices? (& other newbie stuff)

So, it took two weeks to configure the gaming rig that suits my needs and price range, and I've ordered all the parts. Now I'm waiting for the more expensive parts to arrive, and it's been driving me nuts. Every day I check my mailbox for the delivery notification email but it just won't arrive, and I turn away dissapointed.

Soo, I was reading through some articles on overclockers.com, about case cooling. After taking a peek and decided I wanted more information, I searched on Google (teh tool to wisdom, intelligence and independency ) for case modifications. I came across this SWEET site and got stunned by some of the amazing mods here.

You might guess it, but now I'm eager to start this new hobby. My mind is bubbling with ideas, and I even have a project in mind, but I have some problems...

--MONEY--

I just robbed my own bank account to be able to pay that rig (I am 16 years old) and now I can't afford to spend a lot of money on the tools I'm going to need for modding.

Now my question is (wew finally he gets to it ): how much do these cost? I'm thinking of driving to the DIY shops and stuff tomorrow, check some things out. But, if anyone can give me an idea of price ranges of:

-A dremel
    -Bondo stuff
    -Acrylic glass/plastic? or Plexiglass, to make a window.
    -Spraypaint
    -Maybe other stuff I'm forgetting?

If anyone could give me some prices on items like these, I would appreciate that, so I know if it's worth starting this now, or if it would be better to WAIT (I'm tired of waiting )

Thanks in advance.

Bah too long post..

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: Prices?

One HUGE tip - impatience and moddin are NOT good friends lol - if you're gonna do it, do it properly, take the time it deserves - or you'll end up with this dream rig of yours in a box that looks like i fell out of a dumpster. As for prices, the more you're willing to work at stuff, the less it'll cost generally - and the better result you'll get...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

modding doesn't have to be expensive, you can borrow your tools (I think... I did...) and you don't have to go extreme in your first mod

I did my first mod with only about 60 or 70 € (I already had the plexi window) and I think it looks pretty nice for a first mod (see sig or project galleries)

In my case, the paint was the most expensive, I used 4 cans of spraypaint (6€ each) but I think the plexi might also be pricey...

hope that helps you a bit

Welcome to the boards!

Dremel - $40+ (?)
    Bondo - No idea, never used it though I want to, but probably not to expensive.
    Plexi - Depends on size, thickness, etc. At my local Menards, it ranges anywhere from $6-$80 I think.
    Spray Paint - You can get some at Walmart for under $1, but Krylon and other name brands are usually $3-$5 a can.

Hope that helped a little!
    RIP Bucko

Anodized

Haha yeah but the impatience limits itself to getting the tools and everything in my house. :p I'm a HUGE perfectionist so if I screw something up, I would do it again, just to achieve the perfect thing I had in mind.

Oh right, forgot to say: I already ordered a Tt Armor Black, because of its superior airflow and lots oh lots of room. But that was before I learnt about serious case modding... So this idea popped up: I'm keeping the Armor case for home use (it weighs 16 KG! and it's pretty big!) and then get a generic case from somewhere, and mod that. I would use it as my LAN and showoff case, because it's smaller.

"As for prices, the more you're willing to work at stuff, the less it'll cost generally - and the better result you'll get..."

Hmm. Okay. That sounds pretty good. I wasn't thinking of buying power tools.. (except for the dremel) I'll take a peek in the DIY shop tomorrow. Then I know for sure.

EDIT:

Okay, I need to shorten my message typing times, seriously.

"modding doesn't have to be expensive, you can borrow your tools"

Hmm yes maybe some of my friends have stuff. Might want to ask them. Thanks, Noorderbuur

Thanks, Maleficus. That gives a good idea.
    We don't have Walmart over here, but I'm sure I can find some cheap&good paint over here as well.

Thanks for your help.

Suck up to your neighbors and borrow the tools. Always works a charm.

Welcome to the boards buddy!

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Anodized

Haha thanks.

I doubt my neighbours have any tools though, to the right lives this old, rich woman who is a retired doctor.. and the house on my left side is empty. :p
    But I bet my friends have some toolz.

Okay I just came back from my store-trip:

I found Dremel rotary tools ranging from 55 to 110 euros. Near the huge Dremel stack and cases with tools was a small heap of "Ferm" rotary tools. These where 35 (flex shaft) and 15 (normal).

Should I go for a cheap one? Or invest in an expensive...

In the Auto5 shop I found Acryl spraypaint in lots of colors, for 11,50 euros per 400ml. There was also a can of Spray Putty for 9 euros.

Didn't find plexiglass.. yet.

What do you guys think of the prices? Ripoff/Deal? (1 EUR = 1.27545 USD)

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

You're wasting your time comparing US and EUR prices, if you do it, you'll constantly feel like you're being screwed. I work in a automotive crash repair centre with an attached paint and ancillaries shop, get all my gear at wholesale cost, and it's STILL more expensive than in the US retail!

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

You're wasting your time comparing US and EUR prices, if you do it, you'll constantly feel like you're being screwed. I work in a automotive crash repair centre with an attached paint and ancillaries shop, get all my gear at wholesale cost, and it's STILL more expensive than in the US retail!
    So true.

The Dremel would be a better option-the cheap one won't last. Check my worklog for more information.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Anodized

Okay. I will.

Thanks.