Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: welding

Overclocked

Default welding

whats the best way to weld on a budget? can you buy cheap welding torches? would a blowtorch be any good ?

im thinking of making a custom skeleton for my case, so i need a way to attach it. im not go thrilled about using screws and stuff, i want something clean.

Life is like an analogy...

Default Re: welding

you would have a hell of a time trying to weld sheet metal with a flame. you need a tig welder or something to do sheet metal. if you use a torch, you should use steel, and ideally it should be about 1/8" thick... which is very thick and heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Overclocked

i was thinking box section rather than sheet. its only for the chassis. the rest is going to be acrylic.

Water Cooled

I've welded 14 guage mild steel with an oxy-acetelyne torch but its kinda picky, you can easily burn a hole through and thinner stuff like a case would be even harder. By a "blow torch" I assume you're talking about a propane torch (ala bernz-o-matic). If so it probably won't get hot enough unless you use MAPP Gas. It might work for brazing (non-ferrous welding) but not actual welding.

You said you are thinking of making custom skeletons. Are these going to be out of steel and then welded to the case? You could mount hiden bolts on the back or something to attach them.

maybe a little better desciption of what you want to do would allow us to come up with a work around that doesn't need a welder

JBWeld can work, just remeber the scuff the area you want it to attach to...

http://jbweld.net/index.php

Not the best solution and your mileage may vary, but for a non stressed part it may work wonders...

Overclocked

i was planning on getting some box section, and then making a cuboid out of it. theres a guy with a worklog showin what im doing, except he used L brackets and bolts, which i didnt want to do.

i planned on making them, and then mounting the acrylic to it (not figured that far yet).

If you have your pieces pre-cut and ready to be assembled, you can take them to a local welder and have him zap em together. It shouldnt cost very much. Offer him $20 and a case of beer
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Razors Edge

A blow torch will work fi you hold it on it for like 5 or 10 minutes.

My naighbor who was a mechanic gave me his old machine, if not just swing down by the auto body and ask them if you can quikley weld somthing.

Razor, learn to spell.

You will have a hard time doing it with a propane torch. Either rent a tig welder, or get someone to do it for you. You can also find a weldless solution.

mikeroq

rivets work wonders for PC cases...
    -Gutte
    No, I'm not a compleate Idiot!
    Some parts are missing.