Thread: question about new hard drive.

Default question about new hard drive.

i have a little question about adding a new hardrive. my hard drive that i have now is a Maxtor 300 gig hard drive and after 3 months its started to make random clicking sounds, hissing sounds and other lovely noises. my system has started to act really stupid and starts to freeze whenever the clicking sounds start. so i just bought a new western digital 320 gig hard drive to replace the old one. im running windows XP and i looked in my computer and i didnt see the drive there. i looked in the bios and it recognized that the new hard drive was in. so my question is what do i have to do so the new drive shows up in windows.

thanks
    noto

Case Wizard

Default Re: question about new hard drive.

Controll pannel > Admin Tools > computer management > Disk Management > Format drive

thanks,

if i want to turn the new hardrive into my main hardrive should i just drag and drop all the data on the old hard drive into the new hard drive??

Razors Edge

I reccommend you do that immediatley becuase Alot of scostomers bring ther ecomputers into ym dads shop for same reason.

If its clicking,hissing and doing other ****. Its either dead or dying. Matter of a few hours till its dead. Backup all ur data and get rid of the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by notochord
    thanks,

if i want to turn the new hardrive into my main hardrive should i just drag and drop all the data on the old hard drive into the new hard drive??

Not quite that easy since you need a boot loader or MBR and some files will not get copied since the drive is in use and files will be hidden or locked by the os. Use a backup program and rest0ore it to the new drive. There may be easier ways, anyone? (if it was irix or linux dd or dump and restore...)

can i just copy and paste all the data on my old hard drive and put it into my external hard drive then take the data from the external hard drive and put it on the new drive. i just wanna be able to switch the hard drives so i dont have to reinstall everything like windows...

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

Exclamation Re: question about new hard drive.

get your self a copy of norton ghost. its a drive cloneing software. very handy for makeing a quick backup and restore of your entire disk. just do a disk to disk clone. if you are hearing clicking and hissing and wierd stuff from your old drive you may want to go into the options of the program and set some things like ignore crc errors and bad blocks as your disk may very likely have some if its freezing. the sooner you do this the better. in all honesty i would stop useing that drive untill its time to clone it because the more you use it the more likely it is to have a failure. do not just copy and paste your files from one disk to the other. you will be left with an unbootable drive and it will just turn into a real mess. trust me on this one cause i have been there. although there are some tools on the windows xp cd to help restore boot information, wouldent it be nice to not have to fart arround repairing something you didnt have to break to start with? how much is your time worth..
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

Good suggestion Cannibal...

In the past when this has happened to me, I had to re-install on the new disk, then connect the failing drive and _then_ copy all the files over. when one file fails the copy stops and you have to find out what file failed, then exclude it from the next copy. You could be at that for days!

Now I have a copy of norton ghost and backupmypc and they both work fine.

Shouldn't that hard drive have some kind of warrenty? It's only three months old. I thought most hard drives came with at least a one year, or more, warrenty.

Quote Originally Posted by vidas7de7jesus7
    Shouldn't that hard drive have some kind of warrenty? It's only three months old. I thought most hard drives came with at least a one year, or more, warrenty.
    Yep, Maxtor (now Seagate) is good at replacing drives, I think they have a 3 year warrantee now, used to be 5 year before they were took over by Seagate...

When I was dealing with them they used to cross ship their drives (meaning they sent you the new one and you have both of them for a bit then you send the old one back) so you can copy what data you can off the drives.

Go here and enter the SN of the drive and see what it says.
    https://www4.maxtor.com/en/support/service/rma/create
    -Gutte
    No, I'm not a compleate Idiot!
    Some parts are missing.