Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watercooling Experts Wanted

Life is like an analogy...

Default Re: Watercooling Experts Wanted

well, i would suggest single pass.

double pass doesnt sit right with me. it means cooling water in one direction, and bringing it back up to the top again... where the hot water is going in. maybe not directly beside the hot water, but it means you're weaving cold water between hot water. i highly doubt that double pass is as efficient because there is plenty of time for heat to be conducted back into the cold water... not much, but the fact still remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Case Wizard

What do you mean by weaving cold water between hot water?

I'm not sure if this is right. But this is what I am thinking. Water gradually cools so the longer it stays in the radiator, the cooler it should get. So even if it does transfer some heat, the effects should be very minimized or has no effect at all. I think I heard that if you add a row of fans on the top and bottom of the radiator, it will give you about a 1-2% decrease in temps. So you got one of the "hot" side and the other on the "cold" side.

I think I just confused myself... lol. If only someone had 2 radiators that are exactly the same, but one single pass and the other double pass......

actually, im confusing myself too. seeming as all the terminology ive been using just got turned upside down... things are getting me messed up.

lets see if i can put this in terms that make sense without having to understand anything about radiators.

it would make more sense to have water pass through in one straight line, so you have a set heat gradient. having water go through and then make a 180 and go back the way it came means you are passing cooler water next to warmer water, which as i said creates the potential for heat transfer within the radiator. however small that transfer might be, it still means that having the water doing a 180 is less efficient.

basically... look for a radiator with the holes on opposite sides, and not on the same side.

im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

I believe slug is trying to tell that you blow air over the "hot" tubes, and then over the colder tubes... which means that the air that went over the hot tubes is slightly warmer and thus doesn't cool the cold tubes as good as it would do when the air was "fresh"...

yes, thats part of what i was getting at. there are a couple other problems associated with it... but you can extract examples of them from this airflow example. the conduction issue is practically the same issue... look at how close the cold and hot sides are together and you can see why it isnt an efficient design.

D'Oh

ok.. these are 2 radiators.. i don't really know what u are arguing, but the previous post(silverdemon) makes sense.. this is interesting...

x-flow
    normal?

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

ATX Mental Case

Ok, there seems to be a lot of confusion here, lol.

SINGLE-PASS; your fluid enters the side-tank of the radiator, passes through all the tubes, flows into the other side-tank of the rad, and then goes through the outlet.

DOUBLE-PASS; fluid enters the side-tank (usually in the top-corner), the side-tank is divided in half so that the fluid only enters the top half of the radiator. So if you have a 32 tube rad, the fluid enters the first 16 tubes on one half of the radiator. It then passes to the other side-tank and the through the bottom 16 tubes of the radiator, back to the other half of the first side tank, and passes through the outlet.

COMPARISON; For pure heat exchanging ability, the double-pass radiator is 10-20% (don't quote me) more efficent. However, this comes at a cost of a higher pressure drop. Remember that the inlet and outlet flows of your radiator must be equal, so in a double-pass radiator, the water molecules must travel the length of the radiator TWICE in the same amount of time. Think of it in terms of a race. Car 1 races on a track of 10 miles, Car 2 on a track of 20 miles, but both cars must finish in the same amount of time. Car 2 must travel twice as fast as Car 1 to acheive this. That should also answer the earlier question about why double-pass radiators cause the fluid to travel at a higher velocity inside the tubes.

However in the world of radiators this increase in speed comes at the cost of a higher pressure drop. The higher the pressure drop, the more powerful your pump has to be. Single-pass radiators, while not as efficient in heat exchange, do not requre as powerful a pump to force the water through the tubes. Less powerful pump = less noise.

PURCHASING A RADIATOR; Double pass is the way to go for more efficient cooling. However, whether you go with a double-pass or single-pass, your radiator will have an effect on your choice in a pump. While double-pass is more efficient, it will also require a stronger pump. I do not know exactly what is considered a "strong" pump, but just from doing a quick comparison, for the DC motors, the highest vertical head is about 10ft.

I hope this cleared everything up for everyone.

Case Wizard

This topic is really interesting! But I don't think buying water cooling just for this experiment is a smart idea. Does anyone know of a way to maybe get a review site to do this experiment? Or is anyone here part of a review site?

If not, I guess I can upgrade to water cooling, but that might not be until next summer (if I decide to do it). I can buy each radiator and post the results. But as I said, that is a long time from now....

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced_Coyote
    This topic is really interesting! But I don't think buying water cooling just for this experiment is a smart idea. Does anyone know of a way to maybe get a review site to do this experiment? Or is anyone here part of a review site?

If not, I guess I can upgrade to water cooling, but that might not be until next summer (if I decide to do it). I can buy each radiator and post the results. But as I said, that is a long time from now....

Don't really need an experiment. Go google comparisons between single pass and double pass radiators. Double-pass rads are better for cooling, hands down.

Double-pass rads are better for cooling, hands down.
    but theres no extra surface area compared to a single pass with the same number of tubes.

things really arent making sense for me now.

gravity is another issue i can think of. in a single pass, you can have the inlet at the top, and the outlet at the bottom... no issues. in a double pass, it doesnt matter whether the inlet and outlet are at the bottom or top... you still need to force the water upwards on one pass no matter what... meaning you have to fight gravity in one direction.

you know what... if single pass radiators arent as good... they've been done wrong somehow. everything is telling me that single pass is a good dea. it just makes more sense to go through a radiator once and once only, and in one direction only. it makes physical sense, it makes thermal sense, it makes practical sense. something's wrong here.