Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windowing HDD's

Anodized

Default Windowing HDD's

I know you need near operation-room type clenlyness, but what else? Pros? Cons? Let me know. Because i dont have to $ for another Seagate SATA 80gb HDD.
    Im 427 and I approved this post

Quote Originally Posted by 427
    I know you need near operation-room type clenlyness, but what else? Pros? Cons? Let me know. Because i dont have to $ for another Seagate SATA 80gb HDD.
    Just as important is making sure you dont remove any spindle supports---primarily on the top cover piece...You can totaly hose a drive if the balance is off on the platters.

Anodized

buy a cheapo one of ebay like an 18gig to practice on.. or buy a smaller one than that

Anodized

Check out Mashie's Y2K bug for some of this.

I believe his drives did fail on him though...

You need *more* that operation room cleanliness. You need completely white room cleanliness to work with your HDD and cut it open. It's near IMPOSSIBLE to get this right without possibly messing up your HDD.

I do believe WD made an external HDD where you could actually see it...

Anodized

arg...required **ideal** situations for a mod suck...because there is no such thing as ideal. Blast! Foiled again!

ATX Mental Case

Yeah.... I seem to remember that Mashie mod. The website is here. I don't think that the drive made it though. I believe he said something about having "the most expensive pair of lights ever" but can't find the actual quote. I have to warn you that it is very difficult to window hardrives, especially denser ones. I do no believe that anyone has windowed a hardrive with greater than 120GB of information. I have been meaning to window one of my smaller hardrives (it is broken any way) but I was stumped by trying to open the thing up. It has some kind of hexagonal screws, which I am sure I had a screwdriver to at one point, which I cannot open. But if you do manage to do it post your results and any tips you can give.
    Last edited by jonopaul01; 03-21-2005 at 12:06 PM.
    There is no other choice.

ATX Mental Case

My thought is, if your not ABSOLUTLY sure. then not too touch it. Espically since you dont have the money for a new harddrive. All the CD/DVD backups wont help without any boot sector for windows to read
    "It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying, sometimes it means killing a whole lot of people."

Just mod it in a vacuum.
    Last edited by Matthew; 03-21-2005 at 09:08 PM.
    How did you come to trade the fiddle for the drum?

Fresh Paint

I windowed a old 6 gig and am currently running WinXP off it in my garage computer (so far no crash and it has been months since I did it). I may have gotten lucky though, I have read a lot of stories about failures.

The screws on the cover are #9 TORX, or at least that is what mine were on the Western Digital 6 gig. I took some horrible pictures of the project you can check out here...

Window mod project

In my photoes they show the drive in a zip-lock bag. I actually took the cover off while the drive was inside the bag, slipped it out, and immediately sealed it shut. This prevented anything falling into the drive since it was never out in the open. It seemed to work for me and I would probably follow the same procedure for my next one...

Anodized

very cool!

i give you props on that 1!