Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: amount of newbies (no offence)

Default Re: amount of newbies (no offence)

I agree with you all pretty much. I think it is one thing though to ask something like "What is a screwdriver?". Something like that needs to be googled...or kept to yourself because...i mean...common...a screwdriver? But something like "How do I connect an LCD (Specific one) to my computer?" sometimes can not be easily googled. What I am saying is some questions deserve a new forum, others need to be kept to ones self or googled.
    How did you come to trade the fiddle for the drum?

Fresh Paint

first off DickNervous should be a comedian dude u are hilarious and second

My Other half says some of her crafting sites are starting to look at computer crafting (Modding to us). And I should join or see about some of our forums merging ... Think of the n00b like questions then..

can i knit RAM?
    or
    you wouldnt have bytes if you wore insect repelent and quit terrorizing the dog!

ok so im not nearly as funny

The SlackMeister

i wasnt talking about new people that are willing to learn. when i started this whole computer thing, i just went online to websites that my friends told me about and started reading. i reab like 5 reviews each day. at first, i didnt know anything, but then just googled it and went from there. i think before posting something, you should look if there are any similar posts

Water Cooled

Would just like to make an observation. MrSlacker is complaining about n00bs posting to the wrong forum and stupid questions. During this whole tirade, I could not help but take note of the fact that it seems he has perpetrated the very error he is ranting about. Should this whole string not be posted in the kudos and complaints section?

Just thought I would mention that :-)
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

ATX Mental Case

Thank you... you are all to kind, no applause please, just PayPal 10s and 20s. I will be performing until next Thursday.

To be honest, the only n00b questions that bother me are the ones that have been answered in the very forum the person is posting in. The 2nd thing n00bs should be taught after how to enter a URL is how to use th freakin SEARCH feature of almost every forum out there.

I know when I am trying to learn something new, like my recent foray into using phpNuke, I would go to the forums, register, and proceed to SEARCH for the answer to my questions. Only after not finding anything on the forums or Google, would I post a question.

Remember n00bs, the Search button is your friend.
    ================================================== =========
    "And when you kill a man you're a murderer. Kill many and you're a conqueror. Kill them all and you're a God." - Megadeth

Just wanted to mention, there is one thing more annoying than newb questions, and thats people who answer them with BS that they took out of their ass after a trip to white castle. Those so full of themselves that they know precisely what to do in every situation (even though they dont) yet still decide to reply with BS. Be careful what you ask for, same with google, I have seen some completely moronic guides out there that make no sense, or are completely stupid.

The SlackMeister

wat the hell??? i thought i posted it in The Chatterbox forum...
    may be i pushed mouse and didnt notice where i clicked. sorry

ATX Mental Case

I know I probably should keep my mouth shut (being a newb myself) but I would just like to point out that it can be very hard to get into things at the beginning. People are not born knowing everything and there are some things that the you are expected to know. Of course newbs have been accomadated with a newb section (is it called the rookie nook?) which is great for those who know that there question is a bit stupid (whatever that means). As long as newbish questions are kept to the confines of this section things are fine. People should only get annoyed when there are people writing newbish questions in other forums. But yes, noobs should really learn to use the searh feature. But the whole way that this forum has been set up with all the different sections is the perfect search. I want to know something about monitors so I go straight to the monitors section to see if anyone wrote anything about my question. Just my views. Ohhh wait, one more rant. I hate the over use of "lol"> I know I am just opening myself up to a flame war of "LOLOLOLOLOLOL's" but I think that people use it far to much.
    There is no other choice.

ATX Mental Case

I've been following this thread because I think it points out a fundmental flaw in the way people are learning to LEARN these days and I'm curious to see how many other people see this. We as a society aren't teaching our kids to do analytical thinking anymore. We are teaching them how to find out how someone else has done a thing and copy that. Or worse yet, they just say "tell me how to do this step-by-step" so they don't even have to think about it. It seems like fewer and fewer people are coming up with innovative solutions to problems. This is an article I found that speaks to this problem. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/21/how_dumb_kids/

Of course we don't want to "reinvent the wheel" every time we do something and that's where things like online and library research come in, but reading about something is very different from doing something and soemtimes its only in the doing that a thing can really be understood. Its scary to think where this problem could lead in just a few generations.
    The path to the good life is directly beneath you at this exact moment

Water Cooled

what i notice in todays life is people are so dependent on eachother. instead of learning how to deal with problems and solving them, most people just ask for help because its just so much easier. and this is not only with computers and modding, its everywhere. and to be honest i cant stand people who expect me to do the work for them while they dont really care about it. if they do, they will do it anyways, if they dont, then why should i even consider?

as i said before, im more than happy to help if I know the person did some research, willing to do more and i'm not just wearing out my keyboard and wasting my time answering.