Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building case from ground up... help? :P

Default Building case from ground up... help? :P

Alright, so I'm completely new to case modding, but not computers in general. For my current computer I need to basically build a case from scratch. I can't find a case nearly big enough for my needs and the current CM stacker just isn't working out.

I really need some help on the idea side, as all my parts are just flat out huge.

Inside will be:
    Tyan Thunder K8WE (huge motherboard)
    PC Power and Cooling 850 SSI (monster PSU)
    4x 5 1/4 bay devices (dvd, fan controller, removable hd tray, graphics card PSU)
    Pair of 7800gtx's
    Triple 120mm fan radiator from Danger Den, and the biggest pump they have available http://www.dangerdenstore.com/produc...&cat=84&page=1

I think that covers it for all the big stuff, my major problems are making the psu and radiator fit tidy, with room for the hoses/pump and resevoir.

So if any one wants to help me get started it would be much appreciated. BTW I'm looking to make a tower case, maybe at max 5 inches taller than a stacker (with it's casters).

Also no 3 1/4 drive bays are needed, my removable handles my hard drive needs.

Default Re: Building case from ground up... help? :P

If you're new to case modding and you want an entirely new case, I would suggest doing something different. Scratch building gives you ability to build however you want.

Pardon the pun, but think outside of the box.
    Think of something that represents you and see if you can do it. Since you're new to modding, this might be a bit much, or you might be alright with it. It's all about how much time you want to invest and how patient you are. Having someone who works with metal and plastics around would help immensly. They can teach you how to do what you want.

If you want a larger case, look at 4U+ rackmount server cases. Some of them are huge. The bigger the U the bigger the case.

There's a slew of full towers out there bigger than the CM stacker.

Most of all, don't do it to impress anyone but you. You're the one putting in the time and effort and you're the one that owns it.

D'Oh

fr0stb1t3_pamd64:
    well.. u could try 3d modeling have your pieces on a virtual table and assemble them to your heart desire.. and don't fit things in a box fit them in whatever u deem "cool" so what if you have a huuuge mobo (which is soo cool, i might add...), and some nice parts? nothing stops you from making one hell of a case for them i totally agree with nil8... but i have a sugestion myself.. would this fit your stuff? http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...p/90c43996.jpg

have fun designing a new case or modding one

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

@dgrmkr

if those are 120mm fans, then yes, quite perfectly I might add.

And on the don't fit them in a box comment, I already thought about it a lot, and a tower would actually be the best thing for me to build, considering my desk space and current ideas. I thought about a rackmount case, and I just don't have a location for one.

My design goals with this are just to have a case that fits my hardware properly, that fits within my current space, and that I can enjoy showing off next QuakeCon . I really don't like uber flashy. I'd like to have a case kind of like i have my Jetta, the whole "OEM+" style. Don't like the interior of this one, but the exterior gives an example of my "style" here

I also realize there are full towers bigger, but those are generally server cases built off the old classic design, and while functional, they just don't appeal to me.

The biggest issue I must overcome in building my own is that I know no one with knowledge in metal and plastic work needed... So I'll be doing alot of things the hard/wrong way.
    BTW I don't have one of the new stackers, mine is the one shown here

Water Cooled

Have you thought about a Cube case?
    like this http://www.xoxide.com/xulalcucu.html
    or these at http://www.mountainmods.com/?
    Or build your own by weld/rivet/bolting 2 cases together?

I had looked at the cube case, because the side with the 3x 120cm fans would be perfect for my radiator, but it just doesn't fit my desk area, I'll have to get a picture here in a little bit

I have 4 towers at my desk, I'd like to get rid of the stacker and have another one to go in it's place so that it all fits properly under there.

Size wise the case can be tall as hell, and maybe 2 inches wider than the stacker.

D'Oh

I'll have to get a picture here in a little bit
    good idea and sens us (me too) some dimensions and tolerances.. if u have the will(=$ for materials and tools).. there is always a new case to be built..

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

*starts cleaning desk*

Yes, it's still a bloody mess.

Motherboard: 304.8x330.2mm
    PSU: 150x86x230mm (W x H x D)
    Radiator: 397 x 133 x 40 mm

Those are the "big 3"

Case can't be taller than 26.5 inches, and no wider than 10 inches

As a side note, I'd probably be willing to pay someone to build me one as well, since I don't have the skills req'd

D'Oh

dude! awsome room.. can i move with u? j/k it would be true.. if it weren't the small screen :p

let's see..
    As a side note, I'd probably be willing to pay someone to build me one as well, since I don't have the skills req'd
    this is a tad of a bad attitude.. you can order parts, get them custom made.. but it's your mod don't let 'em take it from you

Case can't be taller than 26.5 inches, and no wider than 10 inches
    good place to start with case conception

Motherboard: 304.8x330.2mm
    PSU: 150x86x230mm (W x H x D)
    Radiator: 397 x 133 x 40 mm
    perfect.. almost.. u could probably fit them in a room , but i bet u can place them in 3D space to take as less space possible.. and keep all thermal and electrical parameters subdued

..first thing u have to do (as u have some constraints laid down already) is to think of a look that's it

..then u gotta think in simple parts.. break the case apart.. on paper, in 3D.. just think of the smallest things that go in the case and don't be afraid to either order custom cut panels or salvage from cheap 20$ cases and reinvent the wheel

..finally, make it all go together,m while keeping things as clean as possible some bindo, primer and paint... or bare aluminum.. everyting smoothed.. or jagged, if u want

there.. think of something and tell us what u want to do this is your mod.. you can then get help and advice.

happy brainstorming.
    (P.S. i'll be more than happy to help out with what knowledge and skills i have)

edit: u can mod the CM to fit your stuff.. i think.. just tell me how big of a room u got in the mobo area of the case.. will the tyan fit.. even by a hair? but u gotta say goodbye to the side panel and the top panel.. this will be mutilated to fit the psu and radiator..

The tyan fits... with less than a hair left around it, but it does make it

And the main monitor is out of the pic, 37inch westinghouse. (1080P)