Thread: CPU Overheats and Computer Shuts Off Unexpectedly

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default CPU Overheats and Computer Shuts Off Unexpectedly

Recently, I made a new computer for my mother, with an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 processor, but that processor is operating at far too high of a temperature, over 170 degrees Fahrenheit, which is obviously far too hot for a CPU; by contrast, the video card in that computer operates at no more than 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Also, this may or may not be related, but the computer will, on occasion, shut down without any warning, making it necessary for me to manually turn off the switch on the power supply and then wait several seconds before I turn it on, again.

I removed the CPU cooling unit and reapplied the thermal paste, but the issue has persisted, so I am not entirely certain what could be causing it; what does everyone else say about this? Why is the CPU overheating and the computer shutting off unexpectedly?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: CPU Overheats and Computer Shuts Off Unexpectedly

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ View Post
    Recently, I made a new computer for my mother, with an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 processor, but that processor is operating at far too high of a temperature, over 170 degrees Fahrenheit, which is obviously far too hot for a CPU; by contrast, the video card in that computer operates at no more than 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Also, this may or may not be related, but the computer will, on occasion, shut down without any warning, making it necessary for me to manually turn off the switch on the power supply and then wait several seconds before I turn it on, again.

I removed the CPU cooling unit and reapplied the thermal paste, but the issue has persisted, so I am not entirely certain what could be causing it; what does everyone else say about this? Why is the CPU overheating and the computer shutting off unexpectedly?

Ok what are you using to test the temps of the cpu ? Also check the psu, had the same issue and it was a bad psu. I did have it running fine untill I gave it to my brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastweek View Post
    Not only will it probably catch fire to your house, it will probably shoot peices out of your case and kill your cat. make sure you video tape your expierment.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
    Write your will before you turn it on

Quote Originally Posted by pcclan View Post
    Ok what are you using to test the temps of the cpu ? Also check the psu, had the same issue and it was a bad psu. I did have it running fine untill I gave it to my brother.
    I have been checking the temperate with Speccy, a program that I believe is great for viewing vital information about one's computer, but I shall admit that I had not previously considered the idea of a fault power supply.

However, why would a faulty power supply be causing the CPU to be too hot?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

I have been checking the temperate with Speccy, a program that I believe is great for viewing vital information about one's computer, but I shall admit that I had not previously considered the idea of a fault power supply.

However, why would a faulty power supply be causing the CPU to be too hot?

don't ever use speccy for AMD ryzen temps it's always wrong. use ryzen master or core temp, as for the turning off in my machine it was just an old psu that keep having issues.
    Not only will it probably catch fire to your house, it will probably shoot peices out of your case and kill your cat. make sure you video tape your expierment.

don't ever use speccy for AMD ryzen temps it's always wrong. use ryzen master or core temp, as for the turning off in my machine it was just an old psu that keep having issues.
    I see; thank you very much.

I see; thank you very much.
    I am curious what the temps that the other programs are saying for the cpu and how much different it is, in your case. In my case it was about 50C difference

I am curious what the temps that the other programs are saying for the cpu and how much different it is, in your case. In my case it was about 50C difference
    I have not yet checked, but I shall let you know, when I do.