Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Mylo

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Sony Mylo

Anyone seen/heard about this http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3703. I saw it on google news. Its pretty smick. Its kinda like a PSP with supproted apps a keyboard and no games. I bet the battery life will be even lower than the PSP's. I only get like 3 hours out of my PSP mine when gaming.
    Need a sig

Default Re: Sony Mylo

Sony sony sony... why are you concentrating on a new handheld and nothing to do with the PS3 what the hell is wrong with them?!?!

Im not sure how well it will sell pocvket pcs are just as capable and cheaper in some cases

hmm, I think Sony seems to be going in the right direction. They are catering to the new market unlike Nintendo (in the handheld devision anyway). The only down side is the battery life, which, with new advances in battery construction and design should change in the next few years (hopefully).

They are catering to the new market unlike Nintendo (in the handheld devision anyway).
    Hmm...i'm not so sure. The DS is a great little piece of technology, its weakeness lies not in its capabilities but in its software.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Rankenphile

I still have yet to see Nintendo's DS software as any sort of weakness. They have done a much better job of capturing and delivering to a much wider audience base than any of the others, and consistently deliver very entertaining and quality titles. Those who disagree are certainly entitled to their opinions, but I honestly feel that the Big N is exactly where they want to be, and where they should be, in the coming round of the next generation of games, handhelds and console platforms.

I still have yet to see Nintendo's DS software as any sort of weakness.
    The software isn't the problem-i meant the games. Even though Ninty have a reputation for making great SDK's, there's hardly any games for their machines.

The new Wii will be able to download all the back catalogue of nintendo games-but i wonder, is this because it gives the user more to play, or to disguise the fact that they can't get any developers interested in the console? People are interested, certainly-but developers would rather take a less risky console, a sure-fire hit like the XBox 360 or the PS3.

I'm still not decided about the new console myself, but i'll buy one anyway because it's the cheapest and because, well, i've always bought nintendos. I trust them to entertain me.

But, with Sony's line up, Nintendo would be right to start taking them seriously.

If you've never heard this story before, here is the story of playstation.

''Eons ago, there was a time, when Nintendo and Sony were as one. Together, they worked on a new machine, one to replace the aging SNES. Together, they developed a Disk System, and after Sony spent a lot of money in a lot of research, They finally developed a disk console. Then, Nintendo stabbed their friends in the back by dropping them altogether, opting for cartridges on their new console...the Nintendo 64!

Sony were not amused, and they took their reasearch and hid in their little labs...and when they peeked out their little eyes once more, they held in their arms the Playstation. This was to be their revenge.''

I hope you enjoyed my bedtime story. I respect sony for their tactics, although i thought it was rediculous the way they changed their controller after nintendo E3's the new Wii. This is a difficult one to call really.

Sony have the games, the money, and the balls.
    Nintendo have the fanboys, the history, and Shigeru Miyamoto.

It could go either way.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Rankenphile

Don't have the games? I'm surprised to hear you say that. Nintendo currently has some of the best-selling games for their hand-held. Brain Age, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, Advance Wars, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrows, Trauma Center, Tetris, Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Brothers, Princess Peach and Phoenix Wright are all very popular, very well-selling games, and the PSP just doesn't have nearly the number of must-own titles available, nor the level of intriguing gameplay that the DS offers, in my opinion. Sure they have some pretty cool titles, but not nearly to the magnitude or wide-spread appeal that the DS offers. Keep in mind that the PSP certainly does a nice job of catering to the hard-core gamer community with GTA, racing and sports games, but the DS has done a fantastic job of appealing to a much broader market, which has meant a much better revenue source in the long term. Appealing to a single demographic is a dangrous place to be, as a company. Hardcore gamers are a fickle lot, and can be dissuaded easily. Not to mention the development costs that go into the bigger, flashier games that Sony's platform is famous for, compared to the relatively simple and cheap games that the DS has proven to be viable business models.

I also disagree that there isn't third-party support for the Wii. They are offering a very simple SDK - it is essentially the same as it was for the Gamecube, which all large developers and publishers are well familiar with. Coupled with the large demand and low production costs for the system, this means that there will automatically be a huge user base for the games to market to out of the gate, since the initial launch cost will be so low. Look at the lines at E3 - people waited in line for six or seven hours just to try it out, while Sony's booth was relatively empty. Sony is launching their system at a huge initial investment, which will mean that the initial installed user base will be much smaller than the Wii. Nintendo has even started sending out the SDK to smaller independent developers for free, and Microsoft has really supported the smaller independent developer with the Live Marketplace while Sony is forcing a completely new and unproven chip architecture and a completely new SDK on developers.

What does this mean in the long term? I think that Sony will probably be fine, but the first launch will be very, very rough for them. Nintendo is already planning a very healthy launch with a lot of quality games plus the huge library that is their back catalog available for direct download, while Sony has huge-budget huge-development, and therefore huge-risk, games that are smaller in number. The Wii is by far more accessible to new users, while the PS3 is relying on past history to capture and keep most of the existing user base. People are curious about the Wii. People are intrigued. People are skeptical about the PS3. Developers are cautious about the PS3.

I may be wrong about a lot of this, but I don't think that Nintendo has anything to worry about for this current round.

Well, excuse me for butting in here you two. But IMHO, both have their strengths and weaknesses. From a tech standpoint, the PSP is the winner. However, as far as catering to the broad community, Nintendo wins in effort, but again Sony has simply done a better job. The PSP is not only a gaming platform, but in a time where everyone wants everything in one device, it also can play movies, music, and search the internet. Nintendo simply did not design the DS with these in mind. If they did they would have given it true WiFi capabilities, an expansion port, and possibly a USB port. But they didn't. They have noticed their flaws and have tried to change, an example being their Web Browser I recently heard about.

As far as games go, Nintendo has completely avoided the Hardcare gamer community. The only game that comes close would be Metroid Hunters, but even thats pushing it. They once again have kept their system "family safe", but not everyone want to take a virtual dog for a walk, or take their IQ test while on a bus. Sony on the other hand shunned younger children and brought games like 50 Cent: Bulletproof, and Dead to Rights. What is needed is a system that has both, lighter hearted games for the youngins, and good hardcore games for the rest of the market.

However for the time being both seem equally matched. Nintendo loyal fans will stick by the company. And Sony fans will have a PSP.

BTW, I have a DS.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Yeah Ive had a PS and PS2 and now a PSP and I'm gonna order a PS3. Xbox's are ok.

What about goldeneye on 64 that wasn't kiddy safe even if I did play it as a kid and perfect dark to. But they were thrid party made by RARE.

Yeah I dont like the DS anything with a hinge that is portable is bad they dont last long. Except laptops.

There are tons of kids games for PSP like loco roco and other adventure games with fun plygon characters. PSP has all the features bigger market. That's why every on wants one. Sony's own ipod in a way. What we need is a phone in the PSP. But not like the ngauge (shudder) which never took off.
    Need a sig

Rankenphile

Good points, both. Some food for thought.

Hmmmm