Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scratch Build: Rey's Speeder

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Default Re: Scratch Build: Rey's Speeder

Working off of reference pics, I whipped up a model of the steering control unit.

The printer made quick work of the small parts..

Some basic cleanup before initial assembly. I printed the base with a 1/2" hole through it so I could just use a piece of acylic tube as the pivot rod.

After putting it together, I added some wooden dowels for the handles.

But after reviewing the reference pic again, I realized I assembled the steering arms backwards! Luckily I hadn't glued them together yet, so it was a quick fix. Now it looks more like the actual thing.
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Here's my smoothing technique.. since directly sanding the PLA doesn't work too well (the friction just creates heat and gums up the plastic, making the surface more rough), I decided to coat the panels with an epoxy putty. It's a two-part system that you knead together into a dough. After a few hours it hardens to a strong but light-weight substance.

Using gloves, I just smear the putty onto the surface of the panels. Once cured, it's much easier to sand than the PLA.

I sand down until I start seeing the ridges of the PLA, leaving all the valleys filled.

Here's the bottom panel. There are a few divots here and there, and I'll go back and spot fill those.

After sanding all the panels, I had to throw them onto the case for an overall look. Then I decided to test the hovering capabilities as well..

Getting the repulsorlifts dialed in! Of course, once I add all the hardware, I'll have to re-adjust them to account for the added weight.

Less than 2 weeks to go! Hope I can make it..
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Ok, time for the Monday Modding Update!

Getting down to the wire now, with about 10 days left in the competition. I was hoping to get the Speeder primed and all one color over the weekend, but things never work out the way you want. But I'm really close and should have it prepped and ready to paint this evening! Fingers crossed..

Anyway, here is what I did manage to get done.. Mounted the exhaust ports onto the bottom panel by cuttin a few holes to match the four pipes.

Of course, in my haste, I cut the small holes too large and had to add a support piece in behind with the correct size holes. I used the plate as my template, but forgot that the small tubes were smaller at the other end. doh!

Thankfully I didnt make the same mistake on the other side lol..

Onto the side panels. Luckily I didn't have to print any of this since they are just flat panels, and my printer is still down. So I used .08" thick styrene sheet. Going off the reference pics, I drew up the design for the panel sections and seams.

I used thinner sheets to make the subpanels that break up the flat surface. I also curved the left end of the panel to create the waste-gate, or gills that are on each side of the speeder.

A closer up shot of the front gill. I cut away the center portion of the front nose, and will add some wire mesh in behind for effect.

Then I added some faux hinges on the right to simulate an access panel.

Movin on to the other side, this panel will be a bit more involved, since it has the video card fans, and will have a window integrated into it so you can see all the PC components inside.

After taking measurements withe the EVGA 1080 SC2 in place, I figured out where the fan grills were going to be, so I started cutting the slots out. Beginning with pilot holes for each slot, I used the scroll saw to finish the job.

Slots cut, now I can figure out the rest of the panel, and where the window will go. I must have gone through 6 or 7 different designs before settling on one I liked.

Even with the window as large as I could make it, I decided to go with a barn door style hinged panel so I could open it up completely.

I finally get to use these acrylic hinges I've had laying around for a couple years. These will go on the window side..

..and just standard metal hinges for the left. I'm splitting the barn doors right at the fan grills.

Hinges on!

And a close up of the acrylic hinges.

Now with the panels finally done, I can start prepping for paint! I still have a few items left to fabricate, like the windshield, seat, and some random engine detail parts, but the main body is complete. I spent the last few hours on Sunday smoothing all the remaining parts with the epoxy putty, and will be sanding everything tonight, and hopefully get things primed. Then I'll be painting and detailing the rest of the week.

Quick update: Painting has commenced!

I managed to get a good coat of filler primer on Tuesday evening.

Last night it decided to rain again, so I couldn't do much in the way of paint, but I did get a few more parts made.. But first check out what goodies came in from EVGA!! <drool>

I now have the long-awaited Z270 Stinger in my possession!

And they also sent me an unexpected surprise... a 1080Ti SC2! This is one sexy card!

Ok, now that I got the pr0n out of the way, here are the parts I got checked off my list.. First was the windscreen. My first attempt was a piece of acrylic but failed miserably at heat-forming over a carved piece of foam.. So I went with a more simplistic approach: Soda bottle! It was already curved, all I had to do was cut it down to the size and shape I needed. I dremeled a thin slot around the edge on the top panel and slid it right in. Done! I'll glue it in once I get everything painted.

Next up was the heat shield that goes over the top engine, and the saddle sits on. This was a 4" drier vent duct in its former life. Just had to cut it down using some metal shears.

Now I'm in the process of carving the saddle to fit over it.

The sun is out today, and should be nice throughout the weekend, so I should be able to get all the painting done in the next few days. woot!!