Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scratch Build: Rey's Speeder

Default Re: Scratch Build: Rey's Speeder

That's coming together rather nicely. Great work as usual.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Thanks Tom!

Lots of printing done over the weekend! Got the whole front nose assembled too.

I started with the grill pieces.. These were printed a few weeks ago, but I wanted to wait until I had the entire front completed before posting pics. I was able to print the main grill as one piece..

But for the trim, I had to cut it in half to fit it onto the bed. So I'll have to fill in the seam later.

I also had to print the nose piece in two parts because it was so long. Had a bit of a mishap on the first attempt, as one of the legs tipped over mid-print due to it losing adhesion to the bed. But I was actually impressed with how it was able to correct itself and continue on.

With a few modifications to the design and adding a raft, I was able to successfully print the bottom half of the nose.

Then while printing the top half, the power went out and I had to restart the print, again. But I didnt want to start completely over this time, so I shortened the model to just print the rest of it. Here are all the pieces taped together.

And with the center grill assembly..

I used Weld-On #4 to tack the pieces together, and will come back over the seams with filler to strengthen those areas. But for now, it's good enough to hold its shape and not have to use any tape.

Next up is the bottom bracket, which I pretty much completed over the weekend as well. Oh, and then there's this too...
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Here is the bottom IO panel progress..

I cut a piece out of an old Thermaltake panel to use for the bottom panel, utilizing the built-in mesh grill for ventilation. I've already cut out the IO opening for the motherboard.

Got it in place, and marking the area for the graphics card.

Speaking of graphics cards, EVGA sent me this little gem!

Now I can use it for mocking up instead of that crummy old Titan. ...KIDDING!

I also got the actual PCIe riser cable I'll be using in the build, from Li Heat.

Both card and cable installed and in place to finish up the bottom plate.

..and done. The plate really serves to stiffen up the frame structure as well.

One final shot of graphics card pr0n..
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Got some work to show, despite being in LA on Saturday for a modding workshop at Newegg, and then coming down with a cold shortly thereafter..

Since the motherboard orientation is such that the IO panel is facing down, I needed to make a new panel at the back of the speeder for easier accessibility. And that's where these panel mount extension cables come in! I love these things. Here are the USB 3.0 cables.. one connects to the motherboard, while the other two plug into the mobo's IO.

And here's the ethernet and displayport. I had to go with a shorty DP cable and a F/F adapter as that's the only thing they had for DP that was a panel mount.

And last but not least, the power cable extension.. Home-made, using a standard power cable that was cut down, and a socket pilfered from an old psu.

I cut out a piece of aluminum to fit just underneath the engine tubes at the rear bulkhead. After positioning the extensions, I proceeded to cut out the holes one by one. I put a piece of painter's tape over the actual plug and cut out the holes, then transferred the tape over to the new panel and marked it. It's not the most accurate method, but it gets me in the ball park, and once most of the material is removed, I just use the actual cable as reference from there on out to get it perfect.

Continuing on, I got the USB ports done as well.. Another cool thing about panel mounts, is that you can use the other end to test fit your hole!

And here's the finished panel-mount panel with panel-mounts mounted to the panel.

Will show pics of the panel installed on the bulkhead next..

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Boddaker, you never cease to amaze me.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

THanks AmEv, sometimes I even amaze myself.

Here's the top panel progress..

The total length of the top panel is about 14", and that is right at the max height of my printer. But I didn't want to push it, so I broke it up into two separate prints. This is the main part.

So far, so good..

..and it finished! Total print time, 17hrs.

This part is 9 1/2" tall. The next part will be easier since it has a cutaway for the instrument panel and windshield.

A shot of the panel on the case..

Fits on there pretty well! I'll have a couple metal cross braces underneath that will match the curvature of the panel, and give it something to fasten to.

And of course, I run out of filament with only 1/2" left to go! Fortunately, it was easy to pause the print and re-thread with a new spool.. except I don't have any more white, and all I have in PLA is pink (from my daughter's rose case) and purple. So, purple it is!

Send it over here to print. I have 12"x12"x18".

Nice work. Having the 3D printer around is really opening up opportunities to get really interesting computer mods together without a lot of messy scratch building.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Sweeeeeet!! This is looking amazing as usual Bod!
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    Send it over here to print. I have 12"x12"x18".
    Nice work. Having the 3D printer around is really opening up opportunities to get really interesting computer mods together without a lot of messy scratch building.
    Thanks Thomas, yeah I am looking forward to playing with different filaments like the transparent, and conductive stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    Sweeeeeet!! This is looking amazing as usual Bod!
    Thanks man!

So here's the IO panel installed on the back bulkhead, under the engines.

A reverse shot of the other side..

Moving up to the instrument panel, where the power button will be located, as well as the 2nd set of USB ports. I might throw a couple LEDs in there, if time allows.

I have to cut down the bulkhead a bit, and make some other adjustments so all the pieces mate up better. Also will be adding a piece of styrene to fill in above the top instrument panel.

Here's the progress on the exhaust ports, starting with the 3D model in Sketchup..

..printing.. I repositioned the top plate to print vertically next to all the tubes.. otherwise I'd need a lot of support material, which would be a waste.

After a bit of cleanup, the top plate presses nicely over the tubes. Now I just need to cut a few holes in the bottom panel to mount it on the Speeder.