Thread: Piano Computer Redux - Cathedral Radio

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Default Piano Computer Redux - Cathedral Radio

Howdy all, it's been a few years since I was last on here...

I've recently decided to re-case the computer that sits on my piano - original worklog here:
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...r-for-my-Piano

See pages 6 and later in that worklog for pics of the components and case of the current piano computer. I'd built it as a little box bolted on the back of a monitor, and use it for displaying sheet music as well as composing in Finale. I recently decided to replace the screen with a larger one. Problem was, I wanted a really thin, lightweight screen, and these don't have VESA mounts on the back. I'd used the VESA mounts on the old screen to bolt the computer on, so a change was in order.

My first thought was to make a mounting plate, bolt the system onto that and then bolt it to the underside of the keyboard using existing screw locations. It would be somewhat hidden and functional, but would work.

Also, since I'm not a huge fan of the built-in graphics on the machine, at some point I want to get an entry-level video card (thinking GeForce GT 710 or 720). My current little case does not have space for one, so that was another motivating factor.

I don't know what made me start looking at photos of old antique radios, but look I did. Then I found this:

It's a GE 7-4100JA reproduction cathedral radio: a 3/4 scale replica made in 1988 or 1989 by GE, of their 1932/33 GE J100 radio. The original radio used vacuum tubes and weighed in at over 44 pounds...! The replica is a little smaller and weighs about 9 pounds.

I ordered the pictured radio from a pawn shop on ebay, about $30 total, and am awaiting its arrival next week. Unlike many other reproduction radios, this one does not have a tape cassette deck, so there won't be a gaping hole in the side when I remove the electronics. Also, unlike most other reproduction radios I looked at, this one *should be* deep enough to fit the mini-ITX motherboard such that all plugs are rear-facing. Other radios, I would have had to make the plugs side facing, which would have made them much more noticeable. Not to mention necessitating opening a large hole in the wooden case.

Here's the plan:
    Dismantle the radio - removing electronics, speaker, speaker fabric, metal escutcheon (if possible), knobs, and anything else that isn't part of the case.
    Strip, sand, and refinish the case, probably to a darker finish. Reassemble exterior components.
    Get or make stencils to repaint the lettering around the knobs after refinishing.
    Mount the mini-ITX motherboard, SSD, and pico PSU inside the bottom of the radio.
    Cut an opening in the backing for the various DVI and USB connectors.

Add a surprise element for display...for those old enough to remember I think you'll like it.

Possibly -
    Put the radio electronics back in so it's still a functional radio.
    Make one of the knobs tied into the computer power button.
    If the speaker is for the computer rather than the radio, make the volume knob control the speaker

So there you have it. Instead of keeping the computer hidden, it'll soon be a focal point and conversation piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Default Re: Piano Computer Redux - Cathedral Radio

Dismantling the old piano computer:

Gotta move the radio speaker wires:

Dang screw was in the way:

Problem fixed:

Perfectly flush!

Hard drive in the only spot it could go:

Had to drill holes in shelf to pass cabling through for hard drive:

Made a new backing so I wouldn't have to cut up the original one:

All necessary holes made - took a lot of measuring to make sure everything was in exactly the right place...

On the back is an intake fan, a speed controller (used it more to extend the fan power cable than to control its speed), power plug, power switch, and exhaust vents (no fan up there)

Phase 1 of this project is complete - a cathedral radio/computer, with both sets of electronics separate yet fully functional:

Note the upside down monitor...that will be addressed in Phase 2 beginning tomorrow...

Default Re: Piano Computer Redux - Cathedral Radio

To address the upside-down screen (upside down so the plugs that stick out the back do so over the top of the music stand), I'm making a new music stand with a hole where the plugs need to stick through. I didn't want to just make a hole in the existing stand as it's veneered particle board. So, I took a head-on photo of the radio, traced the speaker grille outlines in Illustrator, modified and adjusted to fit the new music stand shape, printed it out, taped the pages together, used an x-acto knife to cut up the template, traced it onto the wood, and started using my jigsaw to cut out the pattern.

I have enough wood to make one more stand, so I'll hang onto the template in case I ever get a scroll saw, which would cut straight vertically. The jigsaw doesn't, but it's what I've got.

Also, this little bag of goodies will be used as part of the project in the next couple of weeks...