Thread: Looking for a Custom Case

Fresh Paint

Default Looking for a Custom Case

I know of pcjunkies but I am looking for another source for someone who makes custom built case mods. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Looking for a Custom Case

Can you be more specific on what exactly you're wanting done?

Are we talking cut-a-window-in-my-side-panel mods or build-me-a-whole-system-from-the-ground-up mods?
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Fresh Paint

Pretty much "build-me-a-whole-system-from-the-ground-up mods" I am looking for like a cross desk setup.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Gotcha. I honestly wouldn't know where to direct you for a project of that magnitude, sorry.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Fresh Paint

well do you know of anywhere they post up plans or blueprints of cross desk designs? I guess I could always tackle it myself haha

I would volunteer, but my completed mods have all been NES PCs and I'm up to my neck in house remodel.

Is there any reason why you don't want to just buy a Cross Desk?

That all depends on how much money you're flashing around. A fully customized rig isn't going to be cheap. It takes time. How much of it are you looking to do yourself, if any? Aside from a desk, what do you want to put in it? Air or water cooled? If water, multiple loops? How many systems total? What kind of theme? Any sort of information?
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    Is there any reason why you don't want to just buy a Cross Desk?
    lol I can think of one very compelling reason ... $1,699.00 USD (before taxes, shipping, etc)

Never heard of such a beast before, but now I want one!

However, I can see a few minor design flaws in this product ...

It's a computer desk (desk-with-built-in-computer or computer-with-built-in-desk?). Without built-in keyboard tray. Without built-in monitor stand(s). Without built-in speakers (or anywhere to put your speakers).

It's more than a computer desk, it's an uber tech desk. Without any place to put your discs. Or books and manuals. Or calculator. Or pens and papers for scribbling notes. It doesn't even have a built-in power bar. No internal space for a backup power supply, UPS, isolation transformer, whatever. Hell, the entire thing is made from powder-coated electrically-conductive steel and aluminum, it's just begging for power surge badness and it can probably get uncomfortably hot to the touch. You'd think it could pack a dizzying array of USB ports, audio ports, and other such connectivity - places to plug anything you want anywhere you want - but it apparently doesn't.

And it can only hold one computer with one motherboard and one PSU? What good is that? You'd still have towers and racks and boxes plugged in underneath. Not to mention any "nonstandard" electrical, technical, or specialty appliances you might also want to attach to your computer.

No modularity, no multi-configuration options. At least nothing more than you'd get with any half-decent computer case. For this kind of money I would expect a whole lot of ability to set it up *exactly* the way you want, even if it means you'd have to select which parts you do (and do not) order.

You could probably DIY for a few hundred bucks. Just glass and metal and some thought to the design.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Have you considered exploring DIY options for a cross desk setup, and are there specific features or design elements you're looking for in the custom case that you couldn't find in existing products?

In terms of functionality and aesthetics, what are the top priorities or must-have features you envision for your cross desk setup, and how flexible are you with the design and construction process?