Thread: I/O Shield Question (Involving #50/300 VAlve Steam Machine and a 980Ti)

Default I/O Shield Question (Involving #50/300 VAlve Steam Machine and a 980Ti)

So, I have this problem.

I recently acquired a Valve built Steam Machine, one of the beta-test machines they sent out to people to test SteamOS.

It came with a GTX 780, but I'm upgrading to a 980Ti.

Here's the issue. The case is pretty great, but they decided to make a custom I/O shield for the 780 that's completely flat.

I can't modify the case to accept an unmodified I/O shield. More than that, I don't really want to. I bought the thing because it's really cool (and the price was right). I don't want to mess it up by pulling out my drill and Dremel.

One option would be to modify the existing I/O shield that came with the case. The biggest drawback to this is that it involves removing material from it. Eventually as I upgrade over time there will be too many holes. It'll stop working and just look bad.

But there's an advantage because the I/O shield has a tapped screw hole. If I go with something else I either have to use a nut or find some other solution.

The other option is to modify the I/O shield of the 980Ti. I would have to trim a bit off the tabs that usually slot into the case, and I would have to unbend that 90 degree bit of metal on the end. The main advantage is that all the screws that mount it to the card would stay in place. The disadvantages are the fact that I'd need a little nut to mount it to the case (which I know I'll drop 100 times), and when I go to sell the 980Ti the I/O shield will be all screwed up for the next person, which will drive the price down (boo).

What would you guys do?

980Ti shield on bottom, Steam Machine in middle, 780 on top:

Front of 980Ti vs Steam Machine:

Backside of 980Ti vs Steam machine:

Here's the threaded bit on the Steam machine shield, all out of focus . . .

Shield-less 980Ti dry fit in Steam Machine. It's not really secure like this. It needs that little screw to hold it in place.

Some photos for your pleasure, taken in the dark so there's all this cruddy noise. Enjoy!

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Default Re: I/O Shield Question (Involving #50/300 VAlve Steam Machine and a 980Ti)

What about 3D printing or laser cutting a replacement? 3D printing would allow you to replicate the backside protrusions but if I/O plate is a ground connection to the case you would lose that. Laser cutting would give you the ground connection but you'd have to tap threads in for the retaining screw. Both would leave you with an intact 980Ti plate and not force you to modify the case.
    TheMainMan

Default Re: I/O Shield Question (Involving #50/300 VAlve Steam Machine and a 980Ti)

I personally would buy another back plate for the video card so I would have one to modify and one to keep in pristine condition in case I wanted to sell it. In the past I have had a similar issue with having to use a small nut and used some JB Weld to permanently attach the nut. When "unbending" the tabs, make sure to heat up the bent part before flattening it out, or it will crack and eventually break.

I have done something similar for a prototype build, but had the luxury of being able to produce a custom IO plate using a friends metal shop.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

...This is what I found looking down in this subforum....

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...backplate-call

'Course, that kills the fun out of the "homebrew" approach, but it seems to be a possibility...
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I've taught Hassan everything he knows. LOL.

I have a laser, 3D printer and CNC at your service. I haven't tried aluminum yet, but that shouldn't hold me back much.

Or you could have one cut on the CNC from black acrylic. Or frosted clear acrylic and paint the back side black... or.... or....

And if you have access to a press, you could add a similar threaded stud to it.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    I've taught Hassan everything he knows. LOL.

I have a laser, 3D printer and CNC at your service. I haven't tried aluminum yet, but that shouldn't hold me back much.

Or you could have one cut on the CNC from black acrylic. Or frosted clear acrylic and paint the back side black... or.... or....

And if you have access to a press, you could add a similar threaded stud to it.
    You tempt me. I've got autocad and calipers. I can make a file if you let me know how to format layers and linetypes. I think existing I/O shield is steel. I'll check the gauge. Where would I get a threaded stud like that or would I need to machine it?

I also have a set of pin punches so I could possibly remove the existing one and re-set it in the new shield.

My current plan is to use some old sheet metal and cut one out by hand, then solder on a bolt, then heat and quench the whole thing, then temper it all. CNC version would be easier and more fun in a lot of ways.

I have no issues with layering formatting. I have Autocad 2012. I actually made a replacement IO shield out of acrylic for my current rig as there wasn't one in the box (open box item from Newegg). It turned out awesome. Took a heck of a lot of time to measure to verify all the locations were accurate. For measuring, you really have to set a couple edges as a measurement origin and base everything from there, otherwise you get some serious tolerance creep.

For the threaded studs, check EBay, Fastenal and McMaster Carr. They are designed to be pressed into place in a specifically shaped/sized punched hole. The sizes for that would be included with the documentation for the stud.

Here's my IO shield, cut the blank on the CNC and the edge rabbet, then laser cut and engraved:
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin