Thread: I've been searching for this song for a long time

Default I've been searching for this song for a long time

So, around January 2009 I listened to an episode of NPR's All Songs Considered and there was an episode about cover songs. There were some interesting songs covered, but one song really had an effect on me. It was an artist covering herself, but singing a song at the end of her career that was popular at the beginning of her career. The lyrics were deep, about the passage of time, so it seemed really poignant that she would re-record it years later and that the lyrics would carry the weight of age in a way they couldn't when she was young. It was beautifully haunting.

I've been trying to find it for years. I've gone through episode lists of All-Songs-Considered. I've emailed hosts and tweeted at them. I've done google searches. But I could never find it.

Well, tonight my wife was watching Love Actually while I was on my computer and I heard a song in the background and it sounded familiar, like it might be the song I've been trying to find.

It turns out it's Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now. I should feel dumb for not finding it earlier. In any case, here are the two versions.

Default Re: I've been searching for this song for a long time

It's a classic! I did that the other day with a song using Siri, and was actually pretty surprised when it worked! Glad you finally found closure.