Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X99 has come to miniITX -- yes, you read that correctly

Default Re: X99 has come to miniITX -- yes, you read that correctly

If I had to buy my first X99 mobo again, I would choose the Asus X99-E WS ("Workstation"). Or Gigabyte X99 SOC Champ. Or, an "out of band" server-grade mobo which surprisingly benches just as well as the enthusiast mobos, the SuperMicro C7X99-OCE.

Combining my two 4x8GB DDR4-3000 memory kits was a bit of an issue with an i7-5960X, could underclock/overclock the CPU or the RAM independently, but unable to run both together at stock speeds. A complete non-issue with my E5-1680-3, where everything "just works".

I've yet to see anyone report lower than a 4.3GHz overclock with any Haswell-E part - aside from those who have issues with badly mismatched memory kits, wimpy (<140W TDP) CPU coolers, or outdated/misconfigured firmware.

I still don't really see the attraction of X99 miniITX, limited by form factor to a single GPU slot and nothing else. X99 microATX is a little better, at least you can still pack x16/x16 into it, along with another slot or two dedicated to storage.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

The other job is in Salt Lake City. I currently live in Philadelphia. It's a 20% raise from my current pay, but with cost of living adjustment it's more like a 66% raise. So . . . yeah.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    I still don't really see the attraction of X99 miniITX, limited by form factor to a single GPU slot and nothing else. X99 microATX is a little better, at least you can still pack x16/x16 into it, along with another slot or two dedicated to storage.
    Fair enough; to each their own. For myself, my criteria follow along these lines: What I must run locally, I want to run on as small and quiet a system as possible. Everything else, it matters not where it runs, only that it can access the resources it needs.

Or, to put it another way.

That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Nice Job Opportunity!