Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Cube

Default Linux Cube

I am building this system to function as a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) server. I will be running the server build of Ubuntu, or possibly SUSE. Either way, this is going to be a completly Linux machine. I am going to design it from the scratch. Here are some renderings of my concept. Please not: The blue windows will not actually be blue, but clear. I made them blue in these renders to illustrate how I am going to light the case blue.

A view of "The Linux Cube"

Front view:

Rear view:

Side view:

Top view:

And an X-Ray view of the internals:

Construction Information:
    - Edges will be made of 90 degree moulded aluminum
    - Windows will be made of 1/8 think polycarbonate (clear)
    - Case will be lighted with blue leds and cold cathode tubes
    - I have not added fan holes to the renders because I am still working out where they will go

Note: This is my first case mod ever, so yup that makes me a noob. Forgive any mistakes or stupid questions.

Hope everyone likes it =P Any suggestions, comments, or critizisms are more than welcome. Thanks.

Default Re: Linux Cube

Looks like a great concept so far.. Looking forward to seeing the construction phase! Good luck!!

Thanks for the encouragement! I will post pictures of construction tommorow if all goes well =)

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

wow, looks nice, cant wait to see how this turns out

just noticed this...what clearance are you giving for a video card between your motherboard and the Drives? Looks like 4" or so?

Maybe the mobo you are using has integrated GPU, just checking...

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

might wanna make a mock-up model out of thick cardboard and mount the parts before you start anything.

Few linux suggestions for the hardware side;

As much as I LOVE ati, nvidia drivers are way better under linux (thanks sgi...), but ati is putting some effort into this issue.

I worked for almost 3 months to get bootable raid working in several distro's and so far the only stable one is in fedora 4+. This includes the paid for versions of EL from redhat (which are about 6 months to a year behind fedora in features and compatability). If you don't care a bout "bootable" raid, any distro will work fine out of the box, but if you want performance play with gentoo (not for the faint of heart!)

Most of all check to make sure someone has gotten the motherboard you intend to use "booted" into linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgephri
    just noticed this...what clearance are you giving for a video card between your motherboard and the Drives? Looks like 4" or so?
    Maybe the mobo you are using has integrated GPU, just checking...
    Yeah actualy when I was making the model I thought it was clear, now that i look back it it I will have to make some minor adjustments. I will post updated renders with this revision, along with some extra additions... lighting.. fan holes... etc..

Quote Originally Posted by elbarto241
    wow, looks nice, cant wait to see how this turns out
    Thanks! =D Hopefully it will look like the renders =P

Quote Originally Posted by elbarto241
    might wanna make a mock-up model out of thick cardboard and mount the parts before you start anything.
    Great idea, I will give it a shot while im waiting for materials and supplys for the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo
    Few linux suggestions for the hardware side;

As much as I LOVE ati, nvidia drivers are way better under linux (thanks sgi...), but ati is putting some effort into this issue.

I worked for almost 3 months to get bootable raid working in several distro's and so far the only stable one is in fedora 4+. This includes the paid for versions of EL from redhat (which are about 6 months to a year behind fedora in features and compatability). If you don't care a bout "bootable" raid, any distro will work fine out of the box, but if you want performance play with gentoo (not for the faint of heart!)

Most of all check to make sure someone has gotten the motherboard you intend to use "booted" into linux.
    Thanks for the tips, will do. I might use raid in the future but at the moment im low on cash... cant afford two hard drives =P

I'll post pics of my progress as soon as I get started!

interesting so far,
    but I was wondering (because it isn't in the images) how you will go the Cpu heatsink/fan in that system, its just they are moderately tall and I suck at judging distances so it looks a little close to me. or that the drives might possibly block some of the airflow through the fan,
    can't wait to see how this build goes

Looks good, I like it! One question: Where to you plan on putting the blue lights you said will be in it?

Linux wise, I like Ubuntu. I've never used any other distros, but I like Ubuntu a lot more than Windows, and apparently it's good for Linux n00bs like myself. I don't know if you're a Linux n00b, but that's what I would use.