Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project F1 Dream - Another level 10

Overclocked

Default Project F1 Dream - Another level 10

Project F1 Dream

Well having just finished a mod that I won’t be seeing for a long while (traveling around shows and such). It was time to build another, this one I had been planning for years to do (those that know me would know this as I have been talking about it for quite a while).

I had originally planned back then to do F1 themed rig based around Jenson and Lewis, but with the team mates split up I put it off for a while (and due to illness, but that’s another very long story).

To cut it short I spotted Thermaltake were doing a new run of the level 10 and having been one of only two that I could find that had modded the original Level 10, II thought let us go down the Lewis Hamilton route and contacted Thermaltake and managed to secure Number 44 for the Thermaltake Level 10 Ltd edition, funny thing is all this was done before he became world champion, so him winning it means I could add a few things.

This time I wanted to be a bit bolder with the build, and do something different to last time and so it begins.

First off let me start off with a big thanks to the sponsors that jumped on board.

Thanks to Thermaltake for stepping up and supplying me with the Thermaltake Level 10 Titanium LTD edition number 44 for this build and the PSU.

Thanks to Nvidia for stepping up as a sponsor for me, hugely amazing with support thanks guys.

A Big thank you goes out to MSI who are supplying the motherboard for this project.

A big thank you to the Kingston team for supplying the HyperX SSD’s and Memory kit for this project

A big thank you to Swiftech who will be supplying the Apogee XL CPU block that I will be customizing.

Massive thanks to Primochill who are supplying the hardline kit for this build which will be hardline from out to in.

Thanks to GT Omega racing for stepping up with a couple of new chairs for our mod/pc room, ties in with the whole racing theme completely.

Thanks to Razer for stepping up with the complete Chroma set, Keyboard, Mouse and Headset for the build.

A Big Big thankyou to OnPole for insuring I have first dibs on the 1:18 scale model I will be using in the build.

Big thanks to Western Digital for supplying a 2tb WD Black HDD's for the build.

Also a thank you for the guys over at Bitspower for supplying me with the GPU blocks and fittings as well as pump heatsink.

Also a massive thank you to Leo Bodnar electronics for supplying the Sim display that not only will work with sim racing games, it will also be the CPU usage and temp indicator.

A massive thanks to the guys over at AIDA64 who worked with me to get Leo Bodnar displays displaying temps and CPU usage.

Big thanks to gunnar optics for supplying a set of eyewear to be tied into the whole F1 theme

Thanks to Dremel who seem to step up on every build and supply me with accessories and tools.

Thanks to MAX Keyboard who helped out with a custom keys for the build.

This is going to be one hell of a ride for me and for this case, there are some issues I need to still work out but that’s what modding is all about so let the madness begin.

Default Re: Project F1 Dream - Another level 10

Good luck. Can't wait to see more.

Overclocked

will have some things to add this week ( f1 wheel display working for cpu usage ect).

Great idea and I will follow along. I was introduced to the Simraceway at an Audi racing event at Sanoma Raceway. Have my steering wheel, but not played that much yet.

Looking forward to the updates!
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    Great idea and I will follow along. I was introduced to the Simraceway at an Audi racing event at Sanoma Raceway. Have my steering wheel, but not played that much yet.

Looking forward to the updates!
    Got a SimraceWay wheel, but just dont know if I am going to fab it to the case (blend it in or chop it up to look like merc one) not to sure really)... decisions decisions Always the way when modding.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie123 View Post
    Got a SimraceWay wheel, but just dont know if I am going to fab it to the case (blend it in or chop it up to look like merc one) not to sure really)... decisions decisions Always the way when modding.
    What is funny is that right after I replied to this post yesterday, I got an email from one of our distributors (synnex) for their Linked To Success tour, held at Sonoma Raceway. Same event I picked up my wheel at last year. They have an Audi driving school there and in the lower garage they have half a dozen of the fixed base simulators there, using the Simraceway.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ing-school.jpg

We did not use the simulators though. After the morning product session, they took us out to do a rally course using the TTS and then 10 laps on the track driving an S5. I also got to ride with the instructor in an R8. Too bad I cannot go this year since I already have plans...

I think it may interrupt the lines of that chassis to mod the wheel into it. I know there is a mount that you might be able to mod in without making it look funky.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    I think it may interrupt the lines of that chassis to mod the wheel into it. I know there is a mount that you might be able to mod in without making it look funky.
    if i did use it it would be on the backside of the case (removable panel)

Overclocked

So why waiting for a few bits to turn up one thing that did was the Swiftech Apogee XL block, that is now a personal favorite of mine, it does its job, but thanks to a nifty little lighting system can make some nice touches to a build.. especially if you have a vinyl plotter.

There are a variety of colour choices to be had, as seen above to light the rig, I could have gone simple really and just done the red 44 from Hamilton’s car, but not being someone that likes to take the simple route I decided I would do a mock-up of what I was thinking and basing it on his crash helmet as I wanted to have the case more themed around the Mercedes F1 car.

My first attempt was using a regular font to create Lewis’s moto Still I Rise, although the mock up is just that I was not happy really and I wanted it to be more authentic than this so it was time to try and make a version of his font that would work. I knew I would not be able to get it bang on as the font is curved slightly on his race helmet.

Now that’s a lot better, let us see how it looks with the lighting behind it

Now this I like, I will have to make a few slight adjustments to the cut, to make the finer lines not as thin and remake the 44 so it is easier to lay down, but the second mock up is in the right direction I believe.

I think getting the still I rise just right will take a few attempts as getting a vinyl plotter to cut stuff small enough to fit on one of these blocks is no easy task. Also actually picking the design out after cutting is a embarrassing moment as you soon realise why you working on something so small you look up and your misses starts laughing at you because you gone a bit screw eyes lol.

Overclocked

Just a small little update on the block, took the white back out and spent a while adjusting the still I rise stencil, and then placed it on the white backing for the Swiftech apogee XL block.

Now the still I rise looks a lot better without the missing parts of the script, I thickened the lines that were not cutting right due to the thin nature of them. Just got to redo the 44 now.

Overclocked

So now that was done time to put the replacement 44 on and put it into the block, here is the end result of final block design.

Well happy with how it came out in the end, time to move onto the next item on the agenda the 5.25 bay F1/racing style info display.