Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possable project

Default Possable project

hes is a list of the hardware I have thus far
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=109
    Dual Pent. 3 (if needed I can pull the the cpus out again and get #s off them

I have aprox 12 hard drives ranging from 20 gig (acctualy one 10 gig) - 80 gig.
    this mobo has 4 built in Ide spots and a promise Pci raid adaptor that has ide ports
    I do plan on putting one CD or drive in

I belive I have an old Vodoo 3 around somewhere or maybe a Vodoo 2 or so.
    of cource a nic.

I will take pix after I eat and post them of this huge server case ( all metal ) about 3 foot tall on casters and a nasty green. color
    I plan on replacing the color with http://www.autobarn.net/dupmp400.html

thoughts ideas? everything welcome is the system even worth messing with an OC or should I go just for style on the case?

last but not least the raid.... how in the heck do I set all of these hard drives up lol
    I can get all the info off the promise set up if needed

thanks all I hope to make this a ton of fun been wanting to do it for quite some time

i thought hardrives needed to be identical to use raid. Please explain. :confused:

That's what i thougth as well. :confused:

well they do and they don't
    I have 2 of each flavor drive

to be perfectly honest I am more interested in the case than anything

I took some pix for everyone to see. hoping I can start some sort of game plan

http://img150.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...orclose2us.jpg
    http://img94.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img94...pendoor2je.jpg
    http://img94.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img94...rements9cd.jpg
    http://img94.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img94&image=side5oj.jpg

You have a lot to work with there. Good luck

ATX Mental Case

WOW that case is a monster. HUGE. That paint will look nice on a big case like that. you should put lots of fans and lights in there to show off all the hybrid glory that you are creating.

As for your RAID its pretty simple. Basically (As far as my knownledge goes) There is 3 ways to do RAID. RAID 0 (Striping) combines 2 harddrives and makes them into one, reading and writing the data too 2 hard drives instead of one, thus making it faster. An example of how RAID 0 improves preformance: I have a friend (this is going off his word too, so i dont know how accurate it is)... He has a 3.0ghz 64bit athalon or something expensive like that, and he has 2 WD Raptors (Which are damn fast drives) anyways he claims that he can go from the windows install boot to the desktop in 8 minuets, supposidly 3 or 4 times faster than a regular drive. With RAID 0 you can expect atleast 2x preformace for load times.
    RAID 1 (mirroring) is where the file is writen to each hard drive at the same time, making a prefect back up. IMO this is only necessary if you have important files you CAN'T lose (corporate docs... ect..) The neat thing about it is ive been told you can hot swap or something to that nature, where the drives will automatically keep themselvs identical. So you could run it with only one hard drive, and then when you put the other one back in, it would automatically update itself to mirror the previous drive.
    The last RAID option i know about is RAID 0+1 (Mirroring and Striping). This takes 4 drives, 2 to stripe and then another 2 to mirror the strip. Good preformance, great security. LOL its can be expensive though.

Anywho thats my thoughs on your case and RAID. Happy Modding! :cool:
    "It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying, sometimes it means killing a whole lot of people."

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel
    WOW that case is a monster. HUGE. That paint will look nice on a big case like that. you should put lots of fans and lights in there to show off all the hybrid glory that you are creating.

As for your RAID its pretty simple. Basically (As far as my knownledge goes) There is 3 ways to do RAID. RAID 0 (Striping) combines 2 harddrives and makes them into one, reading and writing the data too 2 hard drives instead of one, thus making it faster. An example of how RAID 0 improves preformance: I have a friend (this is going off his word too, so i dont know how accurate it is)... He has a 3.0ghz 64bit athalon or something expensive like that, and he has 2 WD Raptors (Which are damn fast drives) anyways he claims that he can go from the windows install boot to the desktop in 8 minuets, supposidly 3 or 4 times faster than a regular drive. With RAID 0 you can expect atleast 2x preformace for load times.
    RAID 1 (mirroring) is where the file is writen to each hard drive at the same time, making a prefect back up. IMO this is only necessary if you have important files you CAN'T lose (corporate docs... ect..) The neat thing about it is ive been told you can hot swap or something to that nature, where the drives will automatically keep themselvs identical. So you could run it with only one hard drive, and then when you put the other one back in, it would automatically update itself to mirror the previous drive.
    The last RAID option i know about is RAID 0+1 (Mirroring and Striping). This takes 4 drives, 2 to stripe and then another 2 to mirror the strip. Good preformance, great security. LOL its can be expensive though.

Anywho thats my thoughs on your case and RAID. Happy Modding! :cool:
    ...awesome... ive never known what raid was until you just explained it, all i knew is that it took 2 drives :p . If its that much faster, as your friend claims, i want it

ATX Mental Case

anytime man, im pretty sure that there are more options, but yeah thats a starter. Just remember that a 36.8gb raptor is about 150, and you need 2...
    "It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying, sometimes it means killing a whole lot of people."

thanks for the run down of the raid.... I know a little about setting it up and such and have all the harware I need. anywhoo back to the case..

I took the monster apart tonight and took some pictures. I am going to start a new thread in a logs section so ill stop this one now and start the new one hope I can get some help and make this a gourgous beast!!!!!!!

ATX Mental Case

As for your RAID its pretty simple. Basically (As far as my knownledge goes) There is 3 ways to do RAID. RAID 0 (Striping) combines 2 harddrives and makes them into one, reading and writing the data too 2 hard drives instead of one, thus making it faster.
    IMO this is only necessary if you have important files you CAN'T lose (corporate docs... ect..)
    Well I have got to say that having a really fast hard rive, even if you effectivley lose half the space, sounds really great. I have got to the point where even my 30 second boot up (which for me used to be fast) has become to slow. I have set my computer to boot up with nearly no applications to get maximum performance.
    However I am a bit puzzled by Chapel's comment about important files (Quote 2). You say that it is good for back ups and other stuff like that, which is all well and good. However surely if you get a virus on one hardrive it will also be copied onto the other hard drive? And surely any changes that virus does to your windows folders/ boot up folders or any other important system files will be copied onto both hardrives? While I do not understand virus' and the way they work (obviously not being a virus writer) I would imagine that this is the kind of thing that would happen. Is it just my ignorance that brings me too this conclusion? If so please set me straight as too how this kind of technology really works.

Any way, back to the case. WOW. That case is huge! I am just wondering what you are going to be using it for. Are you gonna use it as a server or as a gaming computer. I apologize if you have already mentioned this (I am not very observant) but the way in which you will be using this case definitely is a determining factor as to the way in which you mod it. Some things will look better for a computer you will drag out to a lan (and with the computer being that size it truly will be a drag!) while other things will look better on your desk.

I have had some ideas though. I think that a window is absoloutely essential! You have so much space in the centre of the computer there that it would be a crime not too let everyone see it! With a bit of wire managment and a bit of trimming here and there you should be able to get some neat space to show. Perhaps a bit of Modders Mesh on the door of the case would give a very metal cool look. I think that you need to give us some ideas as to what you would like too see out of the case before we can give some ideas as too what you could do.

So that is my little bit. To tell you the truth I have never done a case mod project so I am probably not the best person to take advice from (I should probably not give advice as well).
    There is no other choice.