Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cube

Default Project: Blue Cube

I am a big fan of all those awesome acrylic custom made cases out there... they look amazing. However, I have never seen someone stick a bucnh of cold cathode tubes inside them... I've been thinking about the possibilities. However, I do not like having a completly see-through case. I wanted edges... for this I have decided to use almuninum. Originally I planned to fit two computers into this case, both using the ATX form factor. However, after constructing a cardboard prototype, I realized a) too much head b) the PSUs were space mongers. So, I figured, lets just stay simple. This being my first case mod and all. Anyway... now down to an actual description of my project:

It is going to be a cube, 13 inch faces on each side. Constructed out of Polycarbonate (for the windows) and Aluminum (for the edges). I figured that since I have never worked with polycarbonate or acrylic prior to this mod, that I would rather not glue it together. Instead I am going to be screwing it on to the aluminum edges for support. Time for some pictures so everyone can see what I am getting at... suggestions... comments... critizims... anything is welcome =)

These pictures are some of my cardboard prototype...

By the way, in the above picture, yeah that is a random P3 board I found in my closet... and no there is no way I am using that in the finished project!!
    and another...

Okay so you get the idea... now this is what I have done so far:

Yes I know I havn't done much... I have only gotten a chance to work on it for an hour.. tommorow I will post an update of my new progress!
    Here is another picture:

I have six 12 x 12 sheets of polycarbonate... which I am attaching to aluminum edges to form a cube. I am going to cut out areas that need cutting (wow that is terribly worded) with a dremel... however I have one problem. Since all I am cutting the aluminum with is a hacksaw (I don't want to spend money on anything else... hahaha) most of my cuts are off by about a millimeter (if you have used a hacksaw ... its really not possible to get it much more acurate than that). Sure, I can file it down, but there is still a gap. (Where the aluminum edges meet at the corners of the cube) What should i fill this with!! (Or cover it with) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

Default Re: The Cube

be careful with that carpet.....some static could come around and fry that motherboard!!

errr that motherboard is useless because I don't have a p3 processor to stick in it... and the way i've abused it... its probally already dead =)

do you have any idea how to join the aluminum at the edges?

Default Update!!

No new pictures just yet, as I havn't had a chance to work on it. However I will provide some more description. The steel edges around the side of the cube are going to be spray painted black. As soon as I find a way to properly join them at the corners, I feel that they will provide a nice finish to the case. Inside the case around the edges, I will place four blue cold cathode tubes, which will light up the interior of the case. I will use custom cut fan covers, and my rans will feature cold cathode tubes as well. Therefore, the whole case will glow blue. I am hoping this effect will be worth the effort.

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

one way you could join the corners is to overlap them and put rivets in them, maybe??

Quote Originally Posted by elbarto241
    one way you could join the corners is rivets maybe??
    hmmm... that might work... I will give it a shot! Thanks for the input. Otherwise I might try some silicon. Anyway I will have some shots of my progress later today.

Fresh Paint

You said you wanted to use cold cathode tubes to light it up?
    Wat kind of Driver units have u decided on?
    I found that instead of going out and buying a bunch of moduler cold cathode tubes its better to buy a special driver unti to power maybe two or three at a time. Look into this... it may save you time and money.
    One day my friend called me up and told me there was something wrong with his computer. "It wont turn on!",he said. I decided to come over and check it out. when i got there i pluged it in and pushed the power button. it hummed to life. behold the power of the power outlet.

Fresh Paint

By the way... if you put the fans were it looks like u want to put them in the pictures u wont get the best air flow.
    I suggest placing on fan at the fron and one or two at the back above the connectors on the mobo. that way it will flow the air over the processor unit and keep your ram cool. maybe even your hard drives if you place it right. How many fans do you want to put in there? remember that cooling is very important especially in a cube case
    One day my friend called me up and told me there was something wrong with his computer. "It wont turn on!",he said. I decided to come over and check it out. when i got there i pluged it in and pushed the power button. it hummed to life. behold the power of the power outlet.

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Sounds awesome. I can't wait to see it come together.

I love to paint and airbrush. I'm still wondering what an acrylic case partially painted would look like.