Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project XFCN (military style)

Overclocked

Default Project XFCN (military style)

Project XFCN
    It’s been a while since I have built a Mod, but it seems I cannot get enough of the Military route, having sat there and looked at BF3.3 project (that became my misses PC). I have to say I wanted to build another.

This time I wanted to go down the same route of having a weapon, but now I wanted it mounted to the case permanently so that I could rewire the internals so the trigger became the PC’s power switch. I also wanted to make sure the safety on the replica also worked, so that with the safety on the trigger would not do a thing and so it began and hence the name XFCN which is military speak for Exterior Function.

First off let me start off with a big thanks to the sponsors that jumped on board.
    XFX really stepped up for me on this build and offered me a superb choice of full support with hardware and would supply the Case, PSU and Graphics for the project, and as most of us modders know that is a huge chunk of change out of the money we spend out, there was a condition that it goes to some shows, but hey I am up for my work being on display.

Another Big thank you goes out to UMAREX, who will be supplying a couple of Airsoft Realistic Imitation firearms for the build. The main choice for the roof mount was a MP5 and UMAREX hold the worldwide exclusive trademark and exterior design copy of Heckler and Koch products, which means the replica will be a 1/1 scale and looks as close to the real version of the MP5.

Swiftech will be supplying the main components of the watercooling with 2x 140mm radiators, the Apogee XL and the Maelstrom V2 Dual Bay Reservoir/pump combo.

A big thank you to the Kingston team for supply a 8gb kit of Red and 8gb black hyper X memory kits to match the builds theme.

Thanks to Dremel who seem to step up on every build, I got a couple of pieces of to help move the build along quicker.

Thanks again to PrimoChill for supplying their hardline kit with a bender and tubing with the connectors, they also supplied some modsmart pieces too, so watch this space.

Also a shout out to Bitfenix who are always there to supply me on my builds with lighting and fans, every bit does help.

More thanks goes out to Startech for supplying me with the HDD brackets and the cables I needed to fit 4 SSD’s into 3 slots.

Where to start the log off, well I think i have to go to straight to the case...

The case in question is the XFX type 01 bravo and it has a nice smooth appearance with some inner bulk (if that makes any sense to you guys). So of course most of you probably know my mods will be going to feature a window with a hand etched window, with that said, let us move on to the beginning and get this build started, as always criticism is always welcome and never taken personally. So lets begin.

Overclocked

Default Re: Project XFCN (military style)

One of the first things I noticed when taking the side panels off is that were double skinned, this meant for the widowed side I was going to have to cut two windows out for the same side one from the outer plastic side of the side panel and one from the inner steel one.

Masking up the panel was pretty straight forward once I had decided on window size, for the best way to cut out a window with a dremel, I highly recommend watching MNPCTECH’s video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iMiH8wYTDY , it’s simple and its spot on and a method I have been using since I first got a Dremel.

Oh dear XFX are you sure you used standard SECC here, the inner skin of the case went through 4 of my reinforced cutting disks! Talk about man of steel (or should I say Case of steel ), a lot more than I am used to going through on a SECC based case. Cutting the plastic parts was easy, (just remember to stop from time to time, to pull off the excess plastic). You don’t have too, but I personally advise this as its much easier to pull off any excess plastic from both sides.

Moving on to the rear side panel, I wanted to just get the inner steel grill cut-out, so time to shed some more reinforced cutting disks., the reason behind this is I wanted to pull the red anodised logo off the back panel and put a UV red XFX logo behind the grill. Once this was done this is what I was left with (not final position), just a mock up to give you a rough idea.

I have to pull off the type 01 logo strip as I will the other side too, I have something that I’ll show you in the next post that will be attached to the windowed side panel on the outside that will have the type 01 written onto it.

Overclocked

Back again as promised with a little update, removed the red sign from rear side panel, but then grabbed my 3m tack remover to find it had evaporated, so I’ll have to wait for more to turn up to remove the rest of the bonding tape.

This should give you an idea of what I want the rear panel to look, like, so when powered up just the XFX glows up on this panel. Onto main side which will of course include an etching, but also after removing the XFX type 01 logo from the bottom of the panel, I wanted something else to say XFX type 01. Here is what I came up with.

This was done using vinyl stencil, Salt water and a tattoo powersupply, I need to polish up a bit more to get rid of fine marks. I should have really done a guide. So to make up for that I will make sure something else needs some of this treatment so that there is a guide in this log.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

wow.

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Just wow.
    TheMainMan

Overclocked

I presume the wows are for the salt water etching

That is really cool. Please do a guide on the salt water etching process.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Yeah, my first thought was "Wow, XFX sent you a really cool promo knife!" until I kept reading to the bottom. I've known about the tech behind the process but had yet to have seen it used for something so cool!
    TheMainMan

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    Yeah, my first thought was "Wow, XFX sent you a really cool promo knife!" until I kept reading to the bottom. I've known about the tech behind the process but had yet to have seen it used for something so cool!
    Having a plotter to cut out the stencils from vinyl helps a lot

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    That is really cool. Please do a guide on the salt water etching process.
    I will just need to figure out on what :p