Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a nice "cube" case

Default Re: Looking for a nice "cube" case

Hey all,

I think I found a case that she would love! I think it's a really nice looking case, but I'm not sure if there will be good enough airflow for gaming. Any thoughts?

http://www.minicase.net/product_E-D5S.html

Jim - reactorman

Nice! Airflow looks pretty decent. Just make sure you spend the extra time on the cable management to make sure there isn't a wad of wires obstructing the bottom to to top air pathways. One thing to keep in mind for that case is the length of the video card. It looks like you only have about 10 inches of depth, so make sure your video card of choice doesn't exceed that. Also be mindful of where the power plugs for the video card are located. Some are on top, some are on the back. If you get a card that will just barely fit, and the plugs are on the back, you will render curse words.

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

Hey OvRiDe, thanks for that head's up! I would have never thought of that with the video card. Do you think that on the manufacturer's sites they will have information as to where exactly their power plugs are located?

Jim - reactorman

Pics on the manufacturers site should be good enough to see where the plugs are if they don't specifically say.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Most of them should have pictures, if not Newegg and other vendor sites are usually pretty good about having pictures available.

I've got good news and bad news. I'll start with the bad. My wife's car is out of commission and that's going to take up the budget for the build :-(
    The good news is that I got the case in! :-) Well, I'm not really sure if that's really good news considering that I've got no money for components. I figure I can still go on with the build, it's just going to be a looooong term project. But, also if I'm going to buy 1 component at a time over an extended period of time, I can probably raise the budget a bit.
    I did have 1 problem with the case though. One of the USB 3.0 ports is crushed. I sent an e-mail with pictures to Realan and hopefully they will replace that part. Other than that, I'm starting to look at CPUs and motherboards. I might go with an FX-8320, but having a little trouble finding a decent matx mobo with USB 3.0. I'm sure I'll find something...somewhere...hopefully. Anyway, just wanted to give an update.

Jim - reactorman

That is a real bummer about the wife's car. As for the project, speaking from experience, I don't think buying a piece at a time is your best bang for the buck. You would be better off just putting the money aside until you have enough to buy what you need. As you start accumulating pieces that sit waiting unused, depending how long, new technology will be released and the prices will start going down. The problem is you have locked yourself in at the higher price by purchasing it, not to mention the chance to get better equipment for the same price. (ie... When they released the GTX770 it was the same price as the GTX670.) Had I waited until I was ready to by it all, I would have had better or the same equipment for less money.

Just my $.02.. hope this helps....

Hey OvRiDe,

Wow, I never thought about that. I guess you are right Well, at least I can keep looking as I'm saving and try to stay on top of all the latest, greatest things coming out. Hey, maybe while I'm waiting I could do something anyways. I could possibly.....dare I say.....MOD THE CASE!!!

I really have no clue what I would do.....or how to do it for that matter.....but maybe I could find a site that specializes in that sorta thing and ask for some advice, help, and suggestions. Would you know of such a site that modifies cases? Hmmmm???

Jim - reactorman

Hmmm.. maybe...

I think I got an idea! I'm not sure if it would work, but if it did I think it would add a little pizzazz to it. The computer is for my step-daughter and I know her favorite thing is anime. I couldn't think of anything along those lines, besides her favorite anime changes from week to week. So I know her next favorite thing is dancing.

The case only has 1 exhaust fan on top. What if I got one of those LED fans and made a little stand for a small disco ball so it could hang slightly above the LED fan? I thought that maybe I could get a reflective pinwheel (if they exist), break off the blades and paste them around the disco ball so the ball could spin. Do you think that could work or is that stupid? In my mind, the lights would hit the disco ball and shine all over the room, but most of the time what's in my mind and in reality usually aren't the same. I know it would be a really cheap mod, but I have to go the cheap route.

Jim - reactorman