Thread: I'm Back! And Fast Internet.

Default I'm Back! And Fast Internet.

I'm finally done moving. I'll post some pictures in like a month probably when I'm actually settled and caught up with stuff.

I got the job offer on a Tuesday, packed Wednesday, and then was driving by Thursday. Now that we are in our new place I decided it was time I sorted through all my old junk and projects. I threw away about 2 contractor bags worth of old computer junk. It was somewhat hard to do but ultimately liberating.

I also have a huge stack of stuff that I'll just craigslist or sell/give-away here, including a whole bunch of fans.

On a side note, I finally got fast internet. In Idaho I was paying $35 a month for (up to) 3Mb. I never saw 3Mb once, it would sometimes burst to 1Mb (the highest I ever saw), and the usual throughput was something like 700kb on a good day. I now have 50Mb for $40 a month. It's crazy how much faster it is. I need to check to see what speed I'm actually getting. But yesterday I had several downloads each going at over 2Mb/s each. It was amazing.

Default Re: I'm Back! And Fast Internet.

Great news! Glad you got moved, it sounds like quite the world wind! Where abouts in the world did you end up in?

As for the cleaning out of old computer junk.. I am about to do the same. We ended up having to do some work on our detached garage, and in the process I finally decided to have someone haul off some of the old stuff I had in there. Old engine block, some intake manifolds, an old chair I was going to rebuild etc etc... Well in the process it really made me think that things would be a lot easier if I got some of this old stuff out of my way. So I can totally relate. I still have to go through and sort what will end up going to the recycler and what can just go into the trash. I figure it will be somewhat difficult because its hard to see something that I know was worth a lot at one time, but is essentially worthless now.

Congrats on the fast internet, its amazing what we are willing to put up with before we are exposed to something better!

I pay about 50 a month for 20gb/s in Pocatello, but I only average about 10-15 gb/s actual in speedtest runs. Meh. Idaho sucks for internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

I think you mean mb, not gb. Haha. But yeah, I know what you mean. Part of it was just not wanting to pay an arm and a leg for "fast" internet that was still really slow. The other part was just being a poor college student and knowing that my money could be put to better use elsewhere.

Down here in backwards land (Aka Australia), I pay AUD$60 for 8Mb then another $23 on top for the phone line (don't actually make calls with it, which costs extra btw). I miss that I paid $50 in total for 20Mb and the phone line. Oh well, just the Australian life I guess.

What's your new job?
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I'm at an architecture firm in Philadelphia. My wife and I have a list of all the stuff that we need to do now that we've moved. New licence, get the car titled in PA, fix my broken HTPC, move a bunch of stuff into the complex's storage space, hang photos, get the projector set up for home movies, sort through more of my junk to get it organized, sell everything that we no longer want or need, mail a reimbursement form with receipts to the university (for a trip I took in February), cash a check from my sister . . .

I'm sure there's more. I spent Sunday night putting together a couch from IKEA. I've thrown away so many bags of stuff and garbage. I'm not making a ton of money, so I don't want to throw stuff away, but with so much to do it's hard to justify the time it takes to sell stuff, and the space it takes up in our place while we try and get a buyer. Still, I hate to be wasteful and just throw things out. In the end it just makes me realize that I should just want fewer things.

Haha Yeah I did mean mb, not gb. I was tired when I posted this! oops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

should see how fast internet is around these parts.

Welcome back, congrats on the new job.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v