Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Scared ****less Of

Default Re: Scared ****less Of

Biggest junebug I've ever dealt with was as long as my thumb. That is a loud thump against a tent.

Atlas moth does sound pretty cool.
    I remember that Chicago had a rocking science museum that had an entire section on various bug species, but the name escapes me. It's not the popular science museum, it's the one that the University of Chicago uses for research.
    Crap. Blegh.

In southwest MO we have copperheads, rattlesnakes, water moccasins, brown recluses and black widows. Those are the only really posionous things I know about.

Funny story, I was night fishing on a bank a few years back and I felt some pressure on the side of my foot. I turned on my flashlight to see a water moccasin slithering past me. I just stood still and it went on about its business. Freaking out only scares creatures, and I don't want to be bitten.

The creatures that scare me are ones larger and faster than humans. If you ever see a bear you really get a sense of how quick and how big they are.

Life is like an analogy...

oh ive come face to face with bears too. i was doing some creek fishing with my friend just last year. we were about to head back up to the road, and a mother bear and two cubs came out of the bushes about 20 feet away.

needless to say, my friend got a little worried. i just told him to go and i backed away after him... i dont turn my back on things like that.

no problems though. i dont even think they heard us.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

oh ive come face to face with bears too. i was doing some creek fishing with my friend just last year. we were about to head back up to the road, and a mother bear and two cubs came out of the bushes about 20 feet away.

needless to say, my friend got a little worried. i just told him to go and i backed away after him... i dont turn my back on things like that.

no problems though. i dont even think they heard us.
    Yes, they probably did hear you and smelled you. Most bears are not afraid of humans. One exception is in alaska where you can get permits to hunt them in certain locations. We were an a kayak trip in alaska and on one island they were protected and they pretty much ignored us, on another island they were hunted at various times of the year and if they saw you or smelled you they would run...

I have a great story about bears and huntington lake in norcal. You drive in to the campgrounds and they have all of these polaroids showing the damage bears do to peeps cars who leave food in them. One picture showed a bear ripping the door off of a truck to get at the ice chest. The first night we were there, there was a couple with their 2 kids. Looked like their first time camping (and probably their last), and they left their food in their car. The camground was awoke to the sound of a LARGE bear busting open the window and pulling the door off. The bear proceeded to pull out the ice chest and one by one open tupperware and devour the contents. The cans of soda seemed to be playthings for him since he kept poking them with his claws to get them to fizz. He fell asleep on top of their car (not sure how since the mother never stopped screaming) and the ranger showed up about half an hour later to shoo him away. The tow truck showed up the next day to take the car away and the noob campers left with him.

I still love going to that place! The people are more fun to watch than the animals...

ATX Mental Case

I live like 45 min. from chicago and I've seen that collection. There are cases and cases of butterflies and such, I'd say they had like a 5-6 inch wingspan. I don't mind bugs, my brother is a huge bug guy though, we have two cases of like 50 different bugs from his collection. I would put up a pic but I have no image host.

Life is like an analogy...

we have two cases of like 50 different bugs from his collection.
    even though im a bug guy too, i really dont agree with collecting. i take pictures and let everything go. in most cases its a shame to kill something that looks so awesome. the worst i do is hold on to them for a while and have a good look, and if it doesnt fly, i watch it walk around on a table or something.

Yes, they probably did hear you and smelled you
    well if it were a single bear, i might assume that. in this case we're talking about a mother and two small cubs (i figure maybe a couple months at most). at that stage.... if the mother had known we were there... well i probably wouldnt be talking right now... those maternal instincts.

im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Right time for an Aussie to step and knock all your pissy American spiders off.

In my garden right now there are Australasian funnel-web spider. One bight from them and you are dead with in a minute or so. No time for an ambualance you are screwed.

The funny thing though there is a spider I cant remember its name is the msot posioniss but its fangs are to small so it can't bight you. it can only kill other spiders and bugs.

Then there is what is in the ocean.

Up in queensland on the great barrier reaf there are sea snakes which have neuro venom which screw with the ability of your neurons to fir or something. Pretty much you are swiming around one bights you. and you drown. Mostly they will leave you alone I have swum with them just don't touch them.

Also there are stone fish which lie on the bottom that look like rocks. If you step on you will die pretty soon. Unless a boat is near.

Also a few people a year get taken by sharks. They think people in wetsuits are seals. Also they are attracted to urine in the water.

Then there are snakes.

So many. Tiger Snakes, Brown Snakes, Taipan, Dugite (causes pralasis instantly) All these snakes are venoums and cause death some within hours some within minutes. Most wont attack unless hungry or frightened. If you come across one stand perfectly still and it will go away hopefully.

Dont try and kick it they will bight through your shoe. Unless you go bush walking with steel caped boots but who would.

This has being a public service anoucment. Ding*

Come to Australia just dont get bitten or stung.

Oh and nil8 we have posionious centapedies and catapillars here to.
    Need a sig

Yep, screw Australia. If I want what a trip there would be like I would just handle 5 deadly creatures at once, standing in an ER, while someone threw salt water and a small shark at my face.
    How about New Zealand? Any large amount of super deadly creatures there?

ATX Mental Case

lol and i was moaning about crane flys

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

In NZ there is stuff all to bloddy cold for snakes. There some spiders but mostly the frost kills em. Most dangerous thing in NZ are sheep baaaaaaaaa!

hahaha lol

Australia's not that bad. If you leave those things alone they will leave you alone. I.e dont touch things they dont just bite they kill
    Need a sig

i think Aussies and people in the southern states of US have it worst. the US have the brown recluse spider, once it bites you, within 3 days the skin around the bite in about a 5 or 6 inch radius dies. in 5 days, the dead skin slowly turns into a hole in your leg. in 2 weeks it would be easier to aputate the limb than save it. and there is no antidote. once youre bitten you just have to hope that cutting the infection out worked. now thats ****e, just as bad as death imo, seeing your limbs rot and smelling the dead flesh *shivvers*
    My Rig: Silverstonetek TJ07 Black case (4 akasa 120mm amber, 2 akasa 92mm blue)
    ASUS M2N32-SLI nForce 5 / AMD AM2 4800 X2 / XFX 7950GX2 Xtreme 520Mhz
    X-Fi Xtreme Music / 2Gb Corsair, DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 / 150GB WD Raptor
    400GB Barracuda / LiteON 16x DVD+/-RW / Sony DVD Rom 48xCD

This system is protected by Norton IS 2006; The only security suite with a hideous yellow taskbar.
    ¬_¬