View Poll Results: Do you want to do an Armadillo Run competition?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 55.56%
  • No

0 0%
  • Demo only

4 44.44%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Armadillo Run - Great physics game - now with POLL!

Dude...totally!

Default Re: Armadillo Run - Great physics game - now with POLL!

i tried building a trebuchet, problem i had was getting it to not snap in half. but my goal today is to see how far i can launch that armadillo without it it snapping.

ATX Mental Case

I just saw that eternal motion machine thing, its not based of physics, its exploiting a glitch in the game, hes made a triangle of metal with another pice of metal trapped inside halfway through another piece, the game trys to push this piece out but cant because its held there so the thing spins by itself.

Wiki:Energy is a conserved quantity: it is neither created nor destroyed, but only transferred from place to place or from one form to another.

So in reality its an inposibility for somthing to just start moving by itself.

AKA_RA: Try adding tension to the metal bars at the top and compresion to the metal bars at the bottom of the tebuchet to give it extra strengh

Dude...totally!

i noticed later that it was a glitch being exploited, and even though that could potentially screw up a contest, it would also kinda suck if they fixed it and made some of the downloadable content none functional. mainly because so many people use this exploit to either finish puzzles way under budget, or make really interesting custom levels.

ATX Mental Case

Yea i saw they were saying the same on the unofficial forums, id run two versions if they fixed it coz its too cool to let go, i just uploaded mt first level. Its called "Recycling" and it should be in the new levels section if it gets approved in a day or two. Check it out

Paul

Life is like an analogy...

I just saw that eternal motion machine thing, its not based of physics, its exploiting a glitch in the game, hes made a triangle of metal with another pice of metal trapped inside halfway through another piece, the game trys to push this piece out but cant because its held there so the thing spins by itself.

Wiki:Energy is a conserved quantity: it is neither created nor destroyed, but only transferred from place to place or from one form to another.

So in reality its an inposibility for somthing to just start moving by itself.

AKA_RA: Try adding tension to the metal bars at the top and compresion to the metal bars at the bottom of the tebuchet to give it extra strengh
    ok, two thoughts on this.

energy... yes its not created or destroyed, but it IS transfered. i dont think its a glitch in the game that causes the motion, in fact i think the game is doing its job perfectly, and i dont think it can be fixed without having to make things a lot more complicated (for the coders at least). im sure some people have probably figured this out, but heres what is probably going on. since there are the pieces of metal going through each other, this is detected as a collision and is translated into an equal and opposite force. since there is no way of actually separating the pieces, its basically an infinite collision. so the glitch is in the design, not the game. and it cant be fixed because that would mean screwing around with the collision detection, and that would probably make utter nonsense out of the other properly functioning bits.

and the other thought....the tension and compression might not be a good idea. as soon as you start doing that, you're basically adding one stress to offset another, and in the game the two stresses appear to have an additive effect and not a cancelling one. ive tried this approach in the demo, and every time i have something that "should work in real life" it over stresses everything and i end up with lots of cracks and booms and i get a good laugh in slow motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

ATX Mental Case

energy... yes its not created or destroyed, but it IS transfered. i dont think its a glitch in the game that causes the motion, in fact i think the game is doing its job perfectly, and i dont think it can be fixed without having to make things a lot more complicated (for the coders at least). im sure some people have probably figured this out, but heres what is probably going on. since there are the pieces of metal going through each other, this is detected as a collision and is translated into an equal and opposite force. since there is no way of actually separating the pieces, its basically an infinite collision. so the glitch is in the design, not the game. and it cant be fixed because that would mean screwing around with the collision detection, and that would probably make utter nonsense out of the other properly functioning bits.
    I think the exploit works not because of collision but due to the fact a piece of metal is halfway through another piece and it tries to push that piece out, metal does not act like this in reality, in a way its acting like water would do with an air bubble. The psysics engine is not doing its job properly because its not possible in real life so it shouldnt be possible in a game made around the laws of physics.

I think the bug is with the metal allowing to pieces to co-exist in the same space at the same time. If they do overlap the engine should see it as a join rather than anything else.

Its easy to fix, according the the designer, although im not a programmer, all you would have to do is write that metals are allowed to overlap but they are classed as joined if they do. Since when metals collide they do not merge, they bend then break it shouldnt cause problems with collision system.

To your second point you made, ive noticed a few of strange things aswell, like when you edit a level and its working properly, if you adjust the boundrys it messes everything up! Also you could have a fully working level and you add a timer to somthing that messes totlly unrelated stuff up aswell.

Mind you, it is only at version 1.1 which is not bad going, im sure the designer will iron out the problems in future updates although i dont hold out much hope on some of the custom levels submitted to still be working on the new versions

Rankenphile

Not so. The bug is in the way tension and exerted force is handled.

Observe:
    Infinite Engines, a level I designed

It shows how you can force an engine to be infinite by using a bar laid over a steel sheet, tied at one end to an anchor and at the other to a piece of elastic that exerts constant force. The force causes acceleration, and is directly correlated to the amount of tension provided. I made two engines using this principal, with two indicators to show the force exerted to an outside body, as well has to provide some counterforce to prevent it from over-accelerating and exploding.

Life is like an analogy...

not because of collision but due to the fact a piece of metal is halfway through another piece
    that IS effectively a collision as far as a game is concerned. only difference is that in games where nothing has gone wrong, two objects dont start inside each other, and a collision is limited to a momentary impulse acting on the surface.

The bug is in the way tension and exerted force is handled.
    i would agree with this, after having seen the very odd things that happen when you try to pre-stress things.

once again... i dont know if this can be fixed very easily because im sure these are global implementations of real world physics, and if you start messing with that, everything else will start behaving in weird and wonderful way, and not just tensions and collisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Thanks guys. The moment I download this I play it for a whole day, strait.

-Cool-
    Project Pioneer : AMD AthlonXP 3000+ : 1GB DDR RAM : Windows XP MCE
    ATI Radeon X1650 256MB : 520-Watt Corsair PSU : 20x DVD-RAM DL + LightScribe
    1.0TB Seagate SATA II : 400GB Seagate SATA II : 400GB Samsung SATA II
    250GB Seagate SATA I : 80GB Western Digital PATA/IDE