Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Vs. ThermalTake Armor LCS

ATX Mental Case

Default CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Vs. ThermalTake Armor LCS

I am trying to decide on a case for my new build and I cant decide bewtween the CoolerMaster Stacker 830 or the new ThermalTake Armor LCS (Liquid Cooling System)

which would you choose?

Here is my build plan:
    Gigabyte GA-G1975X ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Pentium D 930 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core Processor
    CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM System Memory
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive x 2
    Western Digital Raptor 150GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2
    ATI Radeon X1900 CrossFire Edition 100-435721 Video Card
    ULTRA 550W X2-Connect Power Supply - Titanium w/ Blue UV
    Saitek Black Wired Eclipse Keyboard
    DELL UltraSharp 1907FP 19-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor with 4-Year Warranty x 2

If I dont get the Armor LCS here is the cooling system I am thinking about:
    Thermaltake CL-W0075 120mm Ceramic Liquid Cooling System
    Thermaltake AquaBay CL-W0032 Liquid Cooling System Level & Flow Indicator

Couple of questions:
    1. Is my RAM(CORSAIR ValueSelect ) pretty good for the money is there something else better?
    2. Should I go with two less expensive graphics card or one big one?
    3. Is it worth the savings to get the win xp pro OEM version Vs. the full retail version?
    4. Does Tribaloverkill make/sell water reservoirs?

and any opinions welcome!

Thanks
    Kyle
    PS. the only thing I already ordered was the 2 Dell monitors. I still have to get everything else!

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Vs. ThermalTake Armor LCS

for me the stacker looks nicest, depends if you want to mod the exterior though as the stacker is pretty much pre-modded and dosnt leave much room for further exteror mods.

For question 1, yes if dont intend on overclocking. If you want to push you ram to the max get the best you can afford, otherwise value ram is fine.
    For question 2, if your board supports SLI go with the best one you can afford, then add another at a later date when you need more power.
    3, Go OEM, windows is overpriced garbage at the best of times so save as much as you can, buy an un-used OEM serial key of ebay for about £10 and ask a friend to borrow an instalation CD, perfectly legal as long as your registration key is valid so you can register your copy.
    4, Ask him

Paul

in my opinion, the stacker 830 would be best, it has truely superior fan cooling (up to 9x120mm, including four that rest over your mobo and graphics cards etc). And, if you need water cooling (judging by your system the stacker 830's fan design will cool it more than efficiently), then this case is HUGE.

1. Probably best bang for your buck! proving overclocking is not a big issue. What are the latencies of these sticks?
    2. I would definatey get the best card, an X1900 is a serious piece of gear, beaten only by the 7950gx2 (slightly unfair seeing as the 7950, is essentially 2 7900GT's cipped together) and if you were to buy an x1900 master card later on then your graphics would storm.
    3. Like he said ^^ buy a serial key from microsoft, and lend a CD, make a duplicate aswell (make sure your offilne when you do this) so if ever there is need for a re-install you dont have to hassle your friend.
    4. Wouldn't have the slightest on this one, sorry

btw, great choice of keyboard
    My Rig: Silverstonetek TJ07 Black case (4 akasa 120mm amber, 2 akasa 92mm blue)
    ASUS M2N32-SLI nForce 5 / AMD AM2 4800 X2 / XFX 7950GX2 Xtreme 520Mhz
    X-Fi Xtreme Music / 2Gb Corsair, DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 / 150GB WD Raptor
    400GB Barracuda / LiteON 16x DVD+/-RW / Sony DVD Rom 48xCD

This system is protected by Norton IS 2006; The only security suite with a hideous yellow taskbar.
    ¬_¬

ATX Mental Case

Thanks guys for your help.

Looks like I will go OEM on the software. I think I will get the X1900 card......or do you think its overkill? I mean I dont do much gaming, mainly photo editing, 3D work, and web design.

I am currently running the Nvidia Ge Force FX 5200 Is it possible to use the x1900 and the 5200 in crossfire? or together?

Tribaloverkill so he currently does not make and sell stuff....but some time in the future he plans to.

I still cant decide on which case to get. If the stacker 830 had a clear side window instead of metal mesh, I would get that, but I want to be able to look at my fancy expensive junk....er...I mean high tech gear!

and spekaing of keyboards, I assume you are using a saitek? How do you like it? any thing thats a negative about it?

Thanks
    Kyle

ATX Mental Case

Update:

I just ordered my Power supply and the Thermaltake Armor case. I really like the Stacker 830, but cost wise, it would be MUCH more expensive. I got the Armor with built in Liquid Cooled System for ~$250 shipped.

still debating on the RAM

Quote Originally Posted by gobygoby
    Thanks guys for your help.

I am currently running the Nvidia Ge Force FX 5200 Is it possible to use the x1900 and the 5200 in crossfire? or together?
    Er.. no. nvidia sli ready with nvidia sli ready, or ATI XF mastercard with ATI XF card only.

I still cant decide on which case to get. If the stacker 830 had a clear side window instead of metal mesh, I would get that, but I want to be able to look at my fancy expensive junk....er...I mean high tech gear!
    you could always make your own i myself am not a big fan of windows though.

and spekaing of keyboards, I assume you are using a saitek? How do you like it? any thing thats a negative about it?
    Loving it, no bad features at all, the keys are smooth as anything, the glow is awesome, and if you get the keyboard with the extra sde pannel it can be programmed for games. i wouldnt even consider the Logitech G15 over these puppies.

This system is protected by Norton IS 2006; The only security suite with a hideous yellow taskbar.
    ¬_¬

ATX Mental Case

LOL!! I dont even know whay I asked about the Nvidia card! (SLi) Duh, that was my dumb moment for the day!

I would LOVE to mod a case, I just dont really have the time now, so thats why I wanted something that looked modded stock. I am wondering when I will find the time to put this computer together!!!

re: keyboard. I read some reviews about the saitek with the extra keyboard. it said that the keys letters are not transparent but they are just painted white. I dont really think I need that extra one anyway. hopefully I will have everything ordered by the end of the week!

on a side note, I ordered my Dell LCD's yesterday, and they are due to arrive on my doorstep tomorrow!! they were offereing FREE standard shipping. AND. I took a chance. there last promo ended yesterday on LCD's. I took a risk on buying them hoping the new promo wouldnt be as good.....well.....today the promo was about $15 cheaper so I would have saved $30 I called to see if I could get a price match, they said no on a price match but gave a $35 credit on my account for future purchase at dell. Talk about service! now I just need to find something to buy there!!

Thanks
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by gobygoby

re: keyboard. I read some reviews about the saitek with the extra keyboard. it said that the keys letters are not transparent but they are just painted white. I dont really think I need that extra one anyway. hopefully I will have everything ordered by the end of the week!
    actually my saitek keyboard letters are indeed transparent. as in, the blue shines through the letters. maybe they reviewed the little pain in the ass they caused with the solid keys.

¬_¬

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

1. Dont get the Armor LCS it looks ****. Get the Kandalf LCS it looks so much better than the armor especially in black.

Get either the stacker or the kandalf or the tie chi appart from the tie chi weighing 15kg its a very gd case.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz
    1. Dont get the Armor LCS it looks ****. Get the Kandalf LCS it looks so much better than the armor especially in black.

Get either the stacker or the kandalf or the tie chi appart from the tie chi weighing 15kg its a very gd case.

well, too late! I already ordered it! really its all opinion on what you like. The kandalf is pretty good, but I think the tia chi is ugly. not to mention its $$$. I decided to save about $100 and pass on the stacker 830. I really like the Armor. trust me, when I finish putting it together with all of the items I am putting in it.........you'll wish you had it!

j/k but it will be a sharp looking, fast running machine for sure!

Kyle

ps. the dell monitors should be at home waiting for me tonight! Whoo Hooo! Cant wait to start posting pics!!!!