Thread: Chronos

Default Chronos

This is the first build I've done a work log for. My main goal is to get by with out having to spend any more than necessary. I didn't really have a plan when I started (I know this is not a good way to mod) so I'm still not sure where it's going to end. A couple of things have allowed me the chance to do this mod. First is getting laid-off again which gives me the time. Second a friend had a case laying around that I could put my system in while modding this case.

The victim. Zalman Z9 that was won from TGS.(thanks again)
    [IMG]

[/IMG]
    [IMG]

[/IMG]

All stripped down.

[IMG]

[/IMG]

First up the power button.

[IMG]

[/IMG]

Had this laying around and it's pretty close to a perfect fit.

[IMG]

[/IMG]

Removed the button itself from the switch assembly and glued a plastic onto the openning.

[IMG]

[/IMG]
    [IMG]

[/IMG]

I'll have to change the mount a little but other than that a pretty easy new button. I don't have any photos of it lit yet but the led in the switch lights the marble up pretty good.

That's it for now. I've got more done that I'll try and post later.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Default Re: Chronos

Mocking up an idea using pieces from an old Dell and parts of an old build (also Dell parts).

Modifying the bottom section to have a spot for front panel inputs.

Hmmmm.... doesn't quite fit. More on that later though.

And a place for a card reader. I may decide to stealth this later.

Stealth cover for the optical drive.

Fabricated a button and acrylic rod for the led to line up with the ones on the drive.

Here we are with the front panel already cut and starting to smooth out the new additions. Somehow I managed to get half way through building the front panel with out taking any pics. But most people on this site know what cutting plastic with a dremel looks like.

Now about this side panel.

Much better.

All the individual pieces of the front panel together and glued up.

And starting to smooth them all together.

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

When I first saw those Optiplex parts my thought was "He's not going to ruin that case by making it look like a Dell, is he?" Thankfully, I kept reading to the end of the post where I was quite impressed with how it's coming together and doesn't look at all like its donor! Great work!
    TheMainMan

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    When I first saw those Optiplex parts my thought was "He's not going to ruin that case by making it look like a Dell, is he?" Thankfully, I kept reading to the end of the post where I was quite impressed with how it's coming together and doesn't look at all like its donor! Great work!
    Thanks!

It's been progressing a little slow since I've been helping a friend get some work done. But still managing to get a little done here and there.

Front panel with the first coat of primer. Starting to look nice.

Decided to address airflow and dust management. Since we this fluff ball and the computer sits fairly close to the floor it can get clogged up pretty quickly.

To remedy this I've decided to seal the top and bottom of the case. To do this I used the same tape heating companies use to seal duct work up (and no it's not duct tape).

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...ps55269e42.jpg

As well as any unused openings on the rear.

The case that I've got my system in now has a temp read out with dual sensors so when I put this back together I'll pull that out and use it to monitor the internal/external temp difference. If my idea works great, if not it will mean having to remove some tape so not a huge issue. The power supply I'm using has dual intake fans and will be mounted so they both pull air from inside the case. Then there will be two exhaust fans near the top with one constant and one as a system fan so it only runs as hard as needed.

Speaking of the power supply I'm not sure who the manufacturer is but it still had the sticker with performance specs on it it's a 500 watt unit. However it's older and didn't have any sata power leads. Fortunately I had some spares from the modular supply in my wifes computer so time for a little surgery.

Removed one molex lead and added the sata lead after removing the modular connector.
    I've got some more done but that's all I've got time to post tonight. I'll try and get more up soon.