Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Real Speaker System (Concept)

Default A Real Speaker System (Concept)

This is an idea I had while lying in my bed last night thinking about the Doom 3 project. (And right off the bat that made me sound like I don't have a life) Any way. I had an idea to integrate a PC into a sub woofer box while leaving the entire speaker system functional. I will probably start working on this some time here soon. So I will show you the pics as I get stuff done.

Products I plan on using:

Speakers
    Creative Inspire 5.1 5200

PC Specs
    Some old Crappy 333 gateway I have around here some where. Smallest motherboard and I cant afford new parts.

awesome idea it would be really cool to also put like a window in it

Yeah. I think I will end up putting a window in the top. I'm also thinking about lighting up the front logo using the Doom 3 airlock LCD pad technique. I just ran into a problem though. The motherboard is about an inch bigger than the "Case". I am about to upload the pics to my server and I will show you what I mean. I'm thinking I'm just gonna extend the back a little to fit it all in. I am also thinking about turning the motherboard around so all the connections are made inside the case. I only want a few to be exposed to the back. Like agp and maby a usb. I dont want it to be clutterd with connections as its gonna have plenty to start with.

Anodized

EMI, EMI, EMI.

A sub puts off tremendous electrical frequencies for obvious reasons.

Having a computer in there is not a good idea, nor is it safe for your hardware. Tons of magnetic energy is put off by those speakers (as speakers are basically electromagnets), and it WILL destroy your hardware. I promise you that.

If you want a PC in a sub so much, just build yourself a case and save yourself a sub. There isn't much room in those sub boxes anyway.

Well I hadn't planed on keeping the sub in there. I don't think I could fit everything in there and keep it in there if I wanted to, but since you bring it up, there is some protective barrier that can keep your equipment safe right?

Fresh Paint

There's also the fact that a running harddrive can be very tedious when it comes to vibrations, and a subwoofer does simply that 'make vibrations'.

If you were gonna keep the sub operational, both points would come into play, but its something to try!

Anodized

Hmmm, if you take out the sub, then you might be okay.

Apart from lead, I'm not sure what else you could use...

Lead as a barrier?

ATX Mental Case

I could be wrong but I'd think it would have to be a conductive metal to be an EMI barrier. Steel is the usual barrier that I've seen but if I'm right about conductivity, then Gold would be better! Of course, if it needs to have magnetic properties too (i.e. ferrous metal) then there goes the gold idea. Now I'm curious to know, does it have to be a ferrous metal, just conductive, or none of the above? Any knowledgeable please speak up.

The big ass magnet in a sub will destroy your data in a heartbeat. Put two NON PC speakers near a CRT and see what happens to the image. Computer internals are no different and awfully sensitive to EMI and magnetic interference. You can put the stuff in the sub but not if you also want the sub to be operational. I would first try using a small SBC or Single Board computer with a CF card as the HD and see how that works for you.