Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modders Challenge #1 - Home-Made Watercooling

Rankenphile

Default Modders Challenge #1 - Home-Made Watercooling

As part of a new series here on TBCS, from time to time we will be presenting you with a different Modders' Challenge.

This week: Scratch-Built Watercooling on a Budget

The Challenge: Create a viable plan for creating a watercooling system for your PC using only the resources provided within the budget allowed. The system does not have to run off of the PC's power supply, and all water blocks and additional systems must be created or purchased from the websites listed in the Resources section of the challenge.
    Entries must include a thorough description of the plan, including drawings, Sketchup/3D models and/or complete write-up of the creation, assembly and installation of the system. Every part, every hose clamp, screw and bolt, must be listed and priced in the write-up. You may use your own tools, which do not need to be part of the budget and which you may or may not actually own, but must be toosl which a home modder would reasonably have access to - no CNC machines or the like.

Resources:
    Home Depot.com
    PetSmart.com
    RiteAid.com
    Pepboys.com
    AmericanAcrylics.com
    All parts for this must be available for purchase through the above websites. Sales/specials must be valid during the Challenge.

Budget: $150 US. Shipping does not have to be part of the budget, to make it fair. All sales/specials must be listed in the parts budget and must be good through the

All entries must be submitted in this thread by midnight PST July 21st, 2006. Prizes include custom forum titles until the completion of the next challenge and a mention on the front page. Participants may work together on this, but teams must use the $150 budget, not a combined one, and must post their complete team rosters by midnight PST July 14, 2006, and may not include more than four people per team.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Rankenphile; 07-12-2006 at 03:19 PM.

Default Re: Modders Challenge #1 - Home-Made Watercooling

Anyone want to team up with me?

I have a question... How can we accuratly plan for this when we cant acctually see and measure the products. A seemingly viable plan may be foiled by compatabillity issues.

I found an almost ready made kit but its part of somthing that doesnt list specs for the individual pieces of the product.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Rankenphile

It doesn't need to be 100% accurate, but the more realistic the plan, the better. And all plans will be judged on viability as well as creativity and use of budget, so a pre-made kit probably isn't your best bet, but it would be a great starting point. Remember, this is more about creating a plan rather than coming up with an actual working product.

Though if you make a working product...feel free to send it in to Dave@Scotland and assuming it doesn't soak my rig we can be friends for ever!

Joke. Good luck fellas and gals. Wish we could offer a proper prize but no luck so far.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Does anyone know if a solid acrylic block would work insted of somthing metal? I see nothing that can be used as a block on thoes sites.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

noup no way no heat transfer at all

LOUD AND PROUD !

Life is like an analogy...

i cant find any copper flatbar listed.

can we supposedly ask favours of family members or friends? in real life all i need to do is ask my dad and i can get a hold of any shape/size copper piece i need.... and thats the only thing holding me back right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Rankenphile

There are any number of items out there from which parts and pieces could be "borrowed" strategically to make a working end product. This is a challenge to think creatively more than anything else. Play around with the ideas and see what you can come up with - it doesn't have to be the most workable idea in the world, just the best you can come up with given the limited resources.

Ask yourself - What Would MacGuyver Do?

ATX Mental Case

There are people in england that use this site by the way, what stores can we use? Because in reality i wouldnt use any of those stores listed as there are places in the UK i would use to avoid international shipping.