Thread: Testing a Fan Without Connecting it to My Computer?

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Testing a Fan Without Connecting it to My Computer?

I am gradually building my new computer (I have only three components remaining to purchase: the video card, the power supply, and the motherboard), and I have several fans that I shall be adding to its case, but I wish to test those fans without needing to connect them to my computer, as doing so would be a major hassle and my current case cannot fit the 200 mm fan that my new case shall be able to.

Therefore, does anyone here have any recommendations on how I can test a fan without needing to connect it to my computer? Can I simply use a battery and attach a wire from each of its terminals to the prongs of the fan connector, or is there a better method than that? Thank you very much.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: Testing a Fan Without Connecting it to My Computer?

If it is the large molex connector I usually just use a spare PSU cable. If it is the small motherboard style connector you can do the same thing with an adapter. I don't think there would be a problem connecting a battery to it though (I have done this in the past). Even if it is a 9v, it will still tell you if the fan works.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

I have a small 12v wall wart salvaged from a device that went poof years back. I use that to supply the power. You can easily stick a paperclip into the connector pins on the fan. Good for a quick test, just don't short the pins together. Most wall warts will simply trip off. Weaker, poorly designed and manufactured ones may just die from it.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

I have a cheap microUSB wall adapter I'm convering to fan just for this. Then again, my dad broke the USB end, soooo....
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    If it is the large molex connector I usually just use a spare PSU cable. If it is the small motherboard style connector you can do the same thing with an adapter. I don't think there would be a problem connecting a battery to it though (I have done this in the past). Even if it is a 9v, it will still tell you if the fan works.
    I attached the 200 mm fan directly to my power supply, and it worked perfectly, but the other fans, dual 120 mm fans on the CPU cooler (to be precise, a Cooler Master V6 GT) used a 4-pin connector that could not be adapted, and I did not wish to remove my existing CPU cooler simply to test the new one, so I was not able to test it, so I shall simply hope that it works when I finish assembling my new computer.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

That 4-pin connector would be a PWM controlled fan. You would have to plug it into a PWM capable controller, or your motherboard. There should be more than one PWM capable fan header on your motherboard, if you don't want to/don't have the time to invest in locating new hardware just to test it.

You might look into getting an inexpensive fan controller to use for benchtop testing.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Black/ Red is power on a 4 pin fan, blue yellow are signal and rpm speed i think.

i use my old 12v nintendo adapter for testing fans and stuff, i've also got a 5v and 3.3v power adapter for testing stuff like lighting or CCFL's

=)