Thread: A real computer crash

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

Default A real computer crash

I have experienced a real computer crash. My child had my wife's laptop on her lap. The machine was on top of a laptop pad and a pillow. My wife would not let her use the machine like that because she thought the kid was careless in the way she handled it on her lap. I did not know that policy and allowed my child to use it on her lap like that.

One really loud crash later, I had to salvage the old Toshiba laptop. It was good that I had a desktop that I could connect the laptop's hard drive to. I used it to retrieve my wife's stuff. The machine would not boot up because it hit the ground when it was running. The impact probably put a bad sector on a spot of the hard drive that kept it from booting up.

I resolved the bad sector with a reformat of the drive, but the video will not work. I took it apart with help from the good folks on the internet. I hoped it was just a connector that came loose, but it is not. Using a bright flashlight, I could see that the screen still worked. It was just the back light that died.

The machine is too old to want to try and fix. I hooked it to the TV and now have a home theater PC. I was going to upgrade it anyway, but I have to punish my kid for what she did. While I hooked it up to the TV, the kid said, "It wasn't my fault it broke." After hearing that, I have to do something.

When I was a child, I dropped a jar of jelly and my old man thrashed my behind and unloaded some loud heavy duty swear words while I cleaned it up. My child drops a laptop computer and I just said, "That's all right. We were going to upgrade anyway." After hearing her say that it was not her fault, I have concluded that I am not that great at being a parent.

Default Re: A real computer crash

Quote Originally Posted by Xpirate View Post
    I have experienced a real computer crash. My child had my wife's laptop on her lap. The machine was on top of a laptop pad and a pillow. My wife would not let her use the machine like that because she thought the kid was careless in the way she handled it on her lap. I did not know that policy and allowed my child to use it on her lap like that.

One really loud crash later, I had to salvage the old Toshiba laptop. It was good that I had a desktop that I could connect the laptop's hard drive to. I used it to retrieve my wife's stuff. The machine would not boot up because it hit the ground when it was running. The impact probably put a bad sector on a spot of the hard drive that kept it from booting up.

I resolved the bad sector with a reformat of the drive, but the video will not work. I took it apart with help from the good folks on the internet. I hoped it was just a connector that came loose, but it is not. Using a bright flashlight, I could see that the screen still worked. It was just the back light that died.

The machine is too old to want to try and fix. I hooked it to the TV and now have a home theater PC. I was going to upgrade it anyway, but I have to punish my kid for what she did. While I hooked it up to the TV, the kid said, "It wasn't my fault it broke." After hearing that, I have to do something.

When I was a child, I dropped a jar of jelly and my old man thrashed my behind and unloaded some loud heavy duty swear words while I cleaned it up. My child drops a laptop computer and I just said, "That's all right. We were going to upgrade anyway." After hearing her say that it was not her fault, I have concluded that I am not that great at being a parent.

Give yourself some credit and accept that parenting is a "learned process". At least you are self critical and know you have limits.

Did you pop out of your mom's womb knowing how to install CPU's and memory? Same with parenting. The first child is as much a learning adventure for you guys as it is for them.

...but yes, cause and effect needs to be instilled at an early age or nothing will be their fault.

(did the SO give you stink eye?)
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

And that's why I only use SSD's
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

that's why I only have desktops so incredibly heavy... they bow the desk they reside on, and no child is capable of moving it.

I bought the wife a new Toshiba P55 laptop. They promptly broke the power adapter connector within about a month.

Fortunately the old power supply fits, but it is no longer tight. The way that connector is bent makes me believe that it was plugged in when it happened. And now the dang thing will not charge unless you giggle the connector just right. I'm going to have to open it up and try and repair it.

Their next machine needs to be certified for use in the Romper room.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xpirate View Post
    I bought the wife a new Toshiba P55 laptop. They promptly broke the power adapter connector within about a month.

Fortunately the old power supply fits, but it is no longer tight. The way that connector is bent makes me believe that it was plugged in when it happened. And now the dang thing will not charge unless you giggle the connector just right. I'm going to have to open it up and try and repair it.

Their next machine needs to be certified for use in the Romper room.

Instead of repairing the socket.

make yourself a cable, that dangles out of the laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    Instead of repairing the socket.

make yourself a cable, that dangles out of the laptop?
    I'll have to take a look and see what I can do. Oh well. It's all good.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    that's why I only have desktops so incredibly heavy... they bow the desk they reside on, and no child is capable of moving it.
    sound logic right here.

pretty sure i threw my back out lifting my chassis in to place under my desk, damn thing is *heavy*.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"