Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Imperium

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Default Re: Imperium

That looks awesome! So excited to see the rest!
    TheMainMan

Looks killer!!! Get the rest up quick you tease.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Almost. Done.

Yes, this thing is almost done. I finished all of the electrical work on it last night. With the power supply in the bottom, lights in the top two sections, the two motion elements, the fan controller and fans in all three sections there is a LOT of wiring going on here. Happily, I managed to keep the interior clean. The smaller copper tube is wiring conduit.

I said I would explain the additional 110 outlet and toggle switch on the rear of the case in the electrical update. I bought a 12-volt converter for something (I don't even know what it's supposed to be for) that puts out 5 amps. I wired it into the 110 outlet I added, put the switch in the circuit and wired in a 3-pin connector for output. This is going to function as auxiliary pump power. I hate having to find an external power source for the pumps when I'm filling bleeding and leak testing a system and the last thing I wanted to do here was unhook the 24-pin and 8-pin connectors from the motherboard. This way when it comes time I just open the bottom panel, unplug the pumps, plug them into the converter, move the 110 cord from the PSU to this dedicated circuit and flip the switch. Instant constant 12-volt power for the pumps without putting power anywhere else.

That's the theory anyway, we'll see how it works tonight.

I've been working on this thing since February, and as with most ideas I have it has been in my head as a completed project since then. Looking at it now I have to say it has turned out perfectly. I'm sure some of my fellow modders can relate to that feeling when it's coming together and actually starts to look like the finished product.

I was really worried about the lighting, getting just the right shade and brightness but the RGB strip I bought on Amazon is perfect. I was able to change the color and brightness one step at a time and save the results in a preset and still be able to play with the lighting effects it offers. I especially like being able to switch to full-brightness white with the press of a button to help with any work I need to do inside the case. That will no doubt come in handy later.

I received what I truly hope is the last package of parts for this project today in the form of some Primochill PETG tubing and various fittings, as well as a USB adapter for the WiFi antenna. Still experimenting with location on that. Now that all the pieces are fused together I realize how well I've sealed off the main section when it comes to trying to run a wire anywhere from there to get power.

Checklist for completion:

- Cut, bend and install tubing
    - Install WiFi antenna
    - Find a place to mount the IR receiver for the lights
    - Make new "grills" for the radiators (I decided I didn't like the long bars I did previously)
    - Install a plaque on the lower left-hand panel
    - Fill bleed and leak check
    - Figure out how to move this ridiculous thing out of my shop and up two flights of stairs into my office
    - Install software/games
    - Try to play said games without being distracted by the thing on the desk.

“Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

That is beautiful

I recommend adding two separate lighting colors in the gears. Let the colors hit different parts, cast multiple shadows, and blend in interesting ways.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Looks GREAT!

Very kewl!! Awesome job on keeping the interior clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Quote Originally Posted by Stonerboy779 View Post
    That is beautiful
    Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Looks GREAT!
    Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    Very kewl!! Awesome job on keeping the interior clean.
    Thanks guys, I worked really hard to keep that clean look and it paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    I recommend adding two separate lighting colors in the gears. Let the colors hit different parts, cast multiple shadows, and blend in interesting ways.
    Recommendation noted. No. A fine idea but those lights are done. D-O-N-E spells done. Maybe next time.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

This thing is nearly complete. I got it out of my shop and into my office and the water loop is filled and leak tested.

I'll have finished pics up here with videos of the motion elements next week.

This project is complete!

Well, OK as complete as they ever get when you're planning to show them somewhere. There are still a few minor cosmetic issues I want to address, like the fittings in the upper portion by the camshafts and the screw holes on the radiators but overall it's done.

This has been my largest and most involved project to date and as usual I've learned a lot. I think it came out pretty well, and very close to the finished piece I had in my head when I started it in February.

I'll be draining the loop and loading it up on a dolly to get it to my car next Wednesday and driving it to Quakecon in Dallas to compete in the case mod competition. Fingers crossed, but win or lose I'm going to have a blast.

Thanks for following along everyone, hope you enjoyed it half as much as I did.