Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Imperium

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Default Re: Imperium

Love the fuse and holder on the end! Also, great way to hide the cables which is one of the hardest things to do on a GPU in my opinion.
    TheMainMan

That cover is simply AWESOME!!! Have you thought about doing the same thing as the cable and using flexible tubing for that particular line?
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    Love the fuse and holder on the end! Also, great way to hide the cables which is one of the hardest things to do on a GPU in my opinion.
    Thanks! And yes, GPU power is a cable-hiding nightmare, especially on cards like this with the power on the leading edge instead of the back end.

I'm still considering the tubing. I had planned to paint it black like the cover, with some tiny rivet heads around the perimeter of the elbows at the joints to give it that cast iron look, but I'm not so sure now that I see the copper. I don't want that to be the only copper inside it though, I think that would really stand out poorly.

Planning proceeds.

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    That cover is simply AWESOME!!! Have you thought about doing the same thing as the cable and using flexible tubing for that particular line?
    And thanks also. Not sure where exactly you're thinking about using flexible tubing here, can you clarify?
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    Not sure where exactly you're thinking about using flexible tubing here, can you clarify?
    I was just thinking use vinyl/silicone (not really familiar with what water cooling tubing is made from) and run it through another copper elbow like the power leads.

Out of curiosity are the copper elbows attached as a support at all or just wiring conduit?
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    I don't want that to be the only copper inside it though, I think that would really stand out poorly
    I like the copper. I don't think it would stand out as much as integrate. The wiring on the top is copper, the fuse holder on the end is copper, and (if its not a trick of the lighting) the fuse is copper. If you think its too bright you could weather it some. Maybe hit it with some sand paper to give it more of a worn/patina look. Then age it a bit by rubbing on some black paint and then wiping it off so it gets in all the grooves and corners.

Check out Adam Savage talking about weathering his T-800 Terminator.

He starts talking about the weathering @~4:56<-You can click this number to jump straight to it in another window.

Anywho.. its looking great, can't wait to see the next installment!

I was just thinking use vinyl/silicone (not really familiar with what water cooling tubing is made from) and run it through another copper elbow like the power leads.
    Now I see where you're going, thanks. I am really hoping to be able to hardline the whole loop, but if flexible line is called for you're right, that's probably where it would be and that's a good way to hide it.

Out of curiosity are the copper elbows attached as a support at all or just wiring conduit?
    The elbows have a short little stub sticking out, just longer than the thickness of the acrylic sides of the cover, and stick through holes in the side. They do act as a support to keep that heavy sucker from sagging.

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    I like the copper. I don't think it would stand out as much as integrate.
    I like it too, and it does integrate well with this particular piece of the puzzle. I'm more concerned with it standing out in relation to the whole. There is no other copper planned in the build anywhere. Then again, I haven't gotten to routing all of the wiring in this thing either. There may be a need for more copper conduit in other places. If that's the case it can stay.

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Anywho.. its looking great, can't wait to see the next installment!
    Thank you sir. Working on the face of the thing now, that is turning out to be quite task but I think I finally have it figured out. May have an update on that next weekend.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Default Update 4/7/14 - New finish

I finally got the face of the machine finished. I've always liked the edges of the stock panels, but the mesh and the shape of the center portion didn't go well with the theme. The setting for Dishonored has always been about sharp angles and flat planes. The train cars, the machinery, everything mechanical is built like this. And all of it is flat black iron.

At first I just pulled the stock fronts off of the case and set them aside. That gave me a really nice square flat frame to work with. I had always planned to make a new face out of cast acrylic sheet, but I couldn't figure out how to do the edges so they looked right. I finally just ended up cutting the edges off of the original fronts and using them to trim out the edges. There's been a lot of progress made but today's update is largely about the finish. I was able to take glossy cell cast acrylic sheet (and the ABS plastic sides from the original fronts) and make them into a reasonable facsimile of wrought iron sheet.

Check out the pictures and please give me an honest opinion. This is the plan for the overall appearance of the project. I'm even going to paint the water blocks to match once I'm sure it's right.

Thanks to all!

So subtle, elegant and dark, I like it

If this as you are saying it is the overall look and feel of the project then I am a massive fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonerboy779 View Post
    So subtle, elegant and dark...
    That sir is the best thing I could have heard. Nailed it.

I'm afraid the lighting will have a negative effect on the subtlety, but I'm going to go with as dark a red as I can get, and probably spotlights as opposed to all-around lighting. We'll see.

Regardless, thanks for the compliment, that's *exactly* what I was going for.

I... I think .... I think I love you